CC Help please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kleinlax

AC Members
Jan 3, 2009
i just set up a new 55 gal. a little over a month ago. i was told C.C. was a good substrate... Should i just go ahead and replace it? if so with what??? i know there is a sticky about it but i couldnt find an answer to my question. if i replace the subs. how should i go about doing that???:help:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
CC is going to be a pain in the long run, for sure. What is currently in the tank, given that it's only been set up for around a month? A nice sand substrate (try the finer kind) is probably along the lines of what would work best for you. Replacing it may or may not be a pain. If you don't have much or anything along the lines of inhabitants, it is as simple as scooping it out (scoops and *new* dustpans work great :D) and adding the sand back in. Just cut the corner of the bag of sand and let it fall into place. The depth will vary, depending upon the type of sandbed you're looking for--deep or shallow.

kleinlax

AC Members
Jan 3, 2009
currently i have 1 dog-face puffer, niger trigger, 1 black-and-white damsel, and 1 cloudy damsel. when i add the sand in, wont the particles in suspension harm the fish?? i would prefer a bed of around 3"s. also what size grain is recommended. i am interested in slowly converting the tank into a reef tank in a couple months. All the fish are soon to be moved to another tank

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Well helping someone else changing out sand..vs CC... We put his new sand in buckets...and then ran water low flow as we hand stirred the sand to get the dust particles up ....once we got the water clear looking ..... we put it in a hefty bag in large portions and basically cut a hole to let the sand slowly poor out into the tank.

You will get some cloudyness but the initial rinsing will cut it back a whole lot... i learned the hard way on tank 2 and had cloudy tank for a few days...was very frustrating...nothing died... just ugly. I dont know of harm it may cause...i know of none.

I agree with Amp about the fine sand...I also have a personal fav.. Argonite by Caribsea... if you can find it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store