ABSOLUTE Necessities?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dudun

AC Members
Dec 1, 2008
Bought a 20gal bow front. The tank itself is actually acrylic.

I'm on a real low budget, and may take a few weeks for me to get this tank up and running. Defe. plan on live plants.

Now, what would you guys/gals suggest I buy first?

-Heater
-Filter
-Substrate

For substrate, I defe. am going with Eco-Complete, or pool filter sand. Not quite sure as of right now.

mroth_3

shrimp boat captain
Dec 24, 2008
Iowa
Really it doesn't matter the order in which they are bought in my opinion, as it is likely you wont be adding any fish until you have all of them and have it cycled. I suppose filter if you had to choose one.

AquaGem

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Kzoo Michigan
Real Name
Tori
def. filter and heater, in that order. Does the tank include lighting? If not get a light before you get plants.

Dudun

AC Members
Dec 1, 2008
No, no lighting what so ever.

I need to make a canopy for it as well. I got it for $15 bucks, so I'm not complaining.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
i'd say for sure filter first so you can start cycling the tank, since it takes a few weeks.

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
comprehensive liquid test kit. you can print out a page to one for cheap online and try to get a store to price match.

tuchon35

AC Members
Jan 4, 2005
You can pick up a new 24" 250 DE HQI metal halide setup for 100 bucks on ebay. I just nabbed one for my planted tanks. It is still than one Geissmann MH HQI DE light bulb. However that would mean you need to buy Co2 system.

If I were you, I would pick up at least a dual strip T-5 fixture for 50$ or a dual Compact flourscent fixture for $75. Just got the prices of ebay. You really don't need CO2 with either T5 or CF's. You will still get good growth, and healthy plants.

Substrate? I would get a bottle of Sea Chem Flourish, and Sea chem root tabs.
Filter? Depending on the bioload, you could get away with a $10 powerhead,
Heater? no side stepping those

For 65-100 bucks you could have a nice tank. The main thing is lighting, proper ferts, and maintence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store