Decided To Try Convert Cichlid tank to saltwater what do i need??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<><FunSize><>

AC Members
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I have no idea what i need to sart saltwater tank i am just ganna start by converting my 20Gal Dwarf Ram (Cichlid) tank

I have Resun SP1200 internal finter does 700L P/H and a 200W Tota Heater

PLus i have norman 3mm gravel what else do i need

I don't have a clue so any help would be good :D

ereefic

AC Members
Oct 28, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
Substrate: Some use crushed coral, other's use a (DSB) Deep Sand Bed and others go barebottom. I would suggest that you go to ReefCentral and do some searching on those i've mentioned. There is a big debate going on about DSB's right now. You'll find a ton of info.

Skimmer: A skimmer, as I understand it, will take nasties out of the water before they can turn into Ammonia, Nitrite, etc. In any case, it's a good idea. I have a CPR Bak-Pak skimmer that we use, it does a good job. Alot of people rave about AquaC Remora skimmers. Either would work on that tank size.

Live Rock: You should should for 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. per gallon. Many different kinds of rock.

Lighting: If your going to do a fish only tank, lighting isn't really that important. If your doing a reef, with corals, lighting is VERY important. The lighting you get will depend on the corals you want to keep. Different lighting are (PC) Power Compacts, (VHO) Very High Output, (MH) Metal Halides. Also do some searchs on lighting and you'll find a ton of info.

Salt: I use Instant Ocean salt, never had a problem with it. Some debate over salt mixes going on also.

My suggestion is research, research and research some more. Paticence is best if Saltwater Aquaria. Nothing good happens fast. I hope no one gets mad at me for referring you to www.reefcentral.com , but they are a big site with LOTS of good info. Personally, I like to go to as many boards as possibe, variety is good. Good luck and keep us posted. This should be enough to keep your head spinnin for awhile. :)

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I hope no one gets mad at me for referring you to www.reefcentral.com
Oooooh!!! I am sooo mad!

Just kidding. It's a good, if huge site.

My first suggestion for someone starting out is to get a few good books. John Tullock's Natural Reef Aquariums and Bob Fenner's Conscientious Marine Aquarist are very good for giving you a rundown of what kind of tank you might want to have, and how to go about it. This is my usual response to people starting a SW tank, and they are usually very happy they got the books. The savings in useless equipment will easily pay for the books, not to mention the livestock that doesn't die.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by tricksterpup

That sucks, is it from our governmental end, or is it from the other end?

jim

Their CITES permit ran out. CITES is the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store