Mono Argentus body irritation help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishes077

Registered Member
Jan 22, 2009
Ammonia/nitrite :0
Nitrate : about 10 ppm
Ph: mid range test read 7.6, high range read 7.4 --i'll call it 7.5???
unfortunately i just ran out of the gh and kh testers, so i can't give you that information, however i can assure you that i have hard water.
sg: 1.09

I got a shoal of 4 monos about two weeks ago who were in mint condion. Now i have noticed that one in particular has a red irritation (white outline) on it's side, two others have begun to develop it. The shoal seems to be eating well and enjoys scavenging for what my catfish have left behind. I have no idea what is irritating my monos!!!

My guess is that the ph is a little low, or that the salinity needs to be increased. Ideas would be of much help.

at the moment i am using filter sand substrate, and am thinking that i should switch to crushed coral, so that i don't have to mess with the powder stuff. What do you think about crushed coral?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
By 1.09 I hope you mean 1.009, as pure seawater is generally no higher than 1.025 or so.

Any idea what your GH/KH are? My guess is that its a little on the low end. CC will help, although that's most likely not the source of your problem.

What types of test kits are you using, for both nitrogen and salinity? Is the redness also in the gills as well?

Monos (and other brackish water fish) are not good with most types of catfish. What species are they? Also, what is the tank size? Any aggression? Did you quarantine?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store