Outdoor Pond Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Explosive Racin

R/C Addict
Jan 22, 2009
explosiveracing.890m.com
Hello Everyone.
I'm new here, and well I have a few questions for you guys. :help2:

So, I have this pond, and well, I want to put some fish in it. Makes sense, right? But this is where it gets tricky, at least it does for me.

I have no idea what to put in this pond, and I also have very little idea of what I'm doing.

I know someone will ask the dimensions of the pond, so here they are:
100 feet long by 75 feet wide, and approx 10 feet deep (yes, its big!!). As a side note, the depth changes constantly, seeing as this pond is used for irrigation in an greenhouse. A few summers ago, the depth was about 1 foot deep in parts, but if there is lots of rain, the depth can easily reach 10 feet or more. Not sure on the exact depth, sorry.

Now, that raises another problem... The irrigation uses a huge pump to get the water out. Now, I'm not sure if the fish will try to swim in the pump, or get sucked in at all. So, as of now, this is on of the bigger problems.

Another important thing, I live in Canada, and well, it gets cold, and the pond freezes. So, I need fish that can survive the cold, seeing as I don't feel like taking the fish out, for two reasons. 1. It will be really hard in this big pond, and 2. I don't have no other tanks.

So, what type of fish should I get? There is usually some wild plants in the pond, sorry, don't know the names. Also, we have seen some frogs, turtles and muskrats in there.

Along with the fish, what type of food would I have to get, and could it be possible if I got some sort of other wildlife to put in the pond that the fish can eat??

I think thats all,
Thanks for any help.
Matt

EDIT: We are now looking for a specific kind of fish. Some sort of fish that can clean the water.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store