Changing from gravel to sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

akimarain

AC Members
Dec 1, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The bottom of my tank is currently small gravel, But Ive read that sand is better for commets so they can sift through it for food. One of My commets is also getting big enough where Im afraid that it might accidentally ingest one of the pieces of gravel. If i change it, will the tank go through a mini-cycle? Has anyone done this?

snappyguy

Keeper of the fish
Jan 12, 2009
Houston TX
The tank may go through a mini-cycle because you're removing much of the bacteria that's in the gravel. I've never done it but that's my guess.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Get a mesh filter bag and fill it with gravel. You can set it in your tank on top of the sand for a week or so to seed it then remove the bag when your tests stay clear.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Get a mesh filter bag and fill it with gravel. You can set it in your tank on top of the sand for a week or so to seed it then remove the bag when your tests stay clear.
That's what I was gonna say. :)

You can also use pantyhose (if handy) to fill up with the gravel. Easy to tie a knot in the end. The knee-high ones are fairly cheap at discount stores. I don't even wear those anymore, but keep a 10-pack box around for seeding with gravel/sand, covering an intake nozzle, rinsing carbon out, or prolonging the life of a ratty old filter cartridge.

Got any pics of your comets?

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Oh, nice. He or she is beautiful.

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
ns... why camera phone though?

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Hello akimarain, nice to meet you. I see that you are new here, welcome. You have a comet in 5 gallons? It's a little too small. Get a 60 gallon. =) You can have more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store