Expert Advice - 65g LONG Reef Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rkw01

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
So after a couple of weeks looking around that site, and visiting tanks for sale, I've decided the only way I'm going to be satisfied is to start from scratch, and pick my own equipment instead of marring into someone elses. Plus I'm a diy kind of guy, AND I'll get to learn along the way.

I'm on a budget, somewhere around $1000, give or take, to get things off the ground. I originally was eying a 125g, but its going to cost much more in upfront expenses, I really can't afford going that large. So I was thinking about going short and long. Here is what i've come up with:

65g Long RR - 48" x 18" x 17" Tall - $248
Nova Extreme SLR 4x55 T5 HO - $212
Vertex IN-80 Skimmer (well-liked Octopus Clone) $130
CaribSea Aragonite - $25 x 5 = $125
Premium Live Rock $3.25 per lb $292
20g DIY Sump/Fuge $60
DIY Stand
Misc items such as powerheads, heaters, etc.

Are there any concerns going with the tank I've chosen? I searched around, and only came up with 1 reef tank that is a 65 long: http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f191/reefboydcs-blog-72259.html

On a side note, where could I learn about the method he is using to plumb the output nozzles? Without knowing anything about it, it seems like a smart way to go.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

cjtabares

AC Members
Oct 17, 2007
Bristol. RI
What kind of coral do you want to keep? I don't think that light will be good for that many corals.

skene

AC Members
Mar 8, 2008
Well you wouldn't be marring into anyone elses if you learn how to cut corners. Start by finding a used RR tank and stand and lighting. You can usually save much more that way, and you can usually find good deals rather than going for brand new especially when you say that you are on a budget.
The one thing you must keep in mind with all of this is that....
1. There is no such thing as a budget with SW tanks. It's either you are all in, or you aren't.
2. Live rock, I would say the same. Usually the best way to find good deals on things like that are by signing up onto your local SW forums. This way you can usually find people that are always getting out of the hobby and selling off livestock along with live sand and rock. Sand people usually give away for free and it would be filled with the already thriving bacteria, and some critters. Giving you a shorter cycle time.
3. Concerns. Keep in mind that the 65 gal he got was custom made. So if you really must, which I highly advise not to (on a budget) is find yourself a 75 gal. Much more common and easier to replace.

HTH

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Looks good to me. A 4x54w T5HO will be good for most softies and LPS and most likely some of the easier SPS as well. Skene is right about the 75 though, you might be able to pick one of those up for cheaper than a 65 since its a much more common size, the only difference is a few inches taller and shouldn't impact your overall plan that much, if any. That guy you linked to is using a PVC return manifold with a bunch of loc-line - a good option because it gives you some room to move things about to find the best placement for output flow.

A lot of the advice you want is going to depend on your plans for the tank. What are you trying to accomplish? Just a decent mixed reef? Hardcore SPS tank? Are you going to be looking for clams and anemones eventually? The answers to these questions will shape the responses to many of your questions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store