Wanting to start my first planted aquarium...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gourami85

AC Members
Jun 23, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
I recently acquired a 45 Gallon aquarium and stand for a really great price.
I believe the measurements are 36"x 12"x 24" H.

I also found a Hagen 24" T5 HO double Unit Hood for about $12 probably six months ago now (Knew it was an amazing deal and grabbed it while I could). It holds 2 x 48watt bulbs.

Now I really want to set this tank up with live plants, but not sure if all the other supplies I have selected are my best options.

I wasn't sure if I should purchase two Power Glow T5 bulbs, two Life Glo T5 bulbs, or just purchase one of each. Will 48 watts of either be enough to keep even low lighting plants?

I also selected an Emperor BIO-Wheel 280 for my filter. It has received good reviews, but I also want to make sure I don't create too much current for my plants. Will this filter be fine?

I also chose the marineland 200watt stealth heater which I don't think makes too much difference to the plants.

I was also planning on using tahitian moon sand in black, 20-30lbs should be enough, right?

Last I'm not sure which co2 injector and fertilizers I should use, any suggestions?

Sorry if this post is long, I've just never successfully kept live plants alive for more than a few months before.

Thanks in Advance :)

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
1. the light will be OK for low light plants, but you'll probably want to upgrade to a more powerful light, perhaps around 90 watts. the 48W is a good light to have for backup in case the bulbs in the stronger light burn out and you cant get your hands on new bulbs quickly.

2.the Emperor 280 is a great filter for a fish only tank, but for a planted tank you really should have a canister filter. it keeps some CO2 in the water that can be used up by the plants. the Marineland C-360 is A great choice for your tank.

3.heater is fine

4. its best to have about a 1½ inch sand bed with plants, so 30 lbs wont be nearly enough. you'll probably need at least 50-55 lbs.

Ezekielz

AC Members
Dec 8, 2008
So Cal
Well perhaps you can purchase some Flourish Excel as your co2. With that filter, don't go pressurized just yet. The goal with a pressurized co2 setup (if going in with a HOB) is less surface agitation (so the co2 doesn't get gassed off). However with Flourish Excel one doesn't have to worry about that, and plus it is ideal for beginners who are just learning with plants. www.aquariumfertilizers.com will be your best bet for (dry) fertilizers. CSM+B Plantex, Potassium Nitrate, Mono potassium Phosphate, and Potassium Sulfate is what I use. All these ferts are required by plants. With Nitrate, phosphate, sulfate being your macros, while the plantex being your micro. It is a little expensive first hand however, cheapest in the long run when compared to seachem's liquid ferts. Some plant species you may want to get could be Anubias, crpyts, java moss, java fern, and anachris (Personally I do not like the look of this plant). Not sure about the spelling on these, but you can check them out at a site called plantgeek.net. Hope this helps for you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store