Sand Question(s)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
What is the best way to wash/flush sugar size sand before placing it in the tank?

skene

AC Members
Mar 8, 2008
Put a bit of sand in a bucket and run under continuous water. Swirl sand around until the water clears. Then empty sand into tank. Continue until all sand is done.
Easiest way.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Greg: I added sugar sand into my DT and sump and I got so frustrated I just carefully added it without trying to rinse it. I found I was loosing more in the water flow than it was worth. Cleared within an hour in my system. I didn't try the pillowcase trick because I thought the sand would leach out with the water due to the size of the cloth weave. Good luck.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I guess I could run the HOB filter and add a filter pad and rinse it out every 30 minutes or so.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
If it is the first filling of the tank....your will end up "wiping" down the glass on the inside.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I do have some sand that came form another tank that was established, maybe I could just rinse it in fresh water and add it in and not suffer the cloudy water issue. This is the frag tank that I had to set up quickly. I've got egg crate in there now nut I would rather do something different for the time being and I thought adding the sand would be nicer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store