NO airstones?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Usually due to the overall surface movement and water movement of various pumps and powerheads, as well as a the potential (and recommended) presence of a protein skimmer. A lit refugium thick with macroalgae can also negate the need for airstones.

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
Also salt creep will get way out of control if you use a airstone...

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Not to mention the unsightly micro-bubbles they produce in saltwater.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I use an airstone in my refugium. I put it there to help combat a low pH problem and it worked. I have a fairly sealed stand and CO2 builds up in it so my short term solution was to put an airstone in the refugium with the air pump outside the stand in order to add O2 back into the tank. Once I can get a hole saw and drill a hole in the back of the stand and install a fan then the airstone will be taken out. Otherwise, ya, what everyone else said.. microbubbles in the tank being the biggest complaint, and definately salt creep is another on open top aquariums. (were the air bubbles pop at the surface of the tank and spray microscopic mist on the rim/sides of tank, once it dries out, salt is left behind and forms sheets).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store