Submersible Pumps !!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seasand

Sean
Apr 26, 2008
Millport, Scotland
:confused: This will probably sound stupid to most but I`ve just bought a Resun SP-2500 Submersible pump and the instructions tell you to put the air-line for the air bleed out side the tank !!!
What is this air bleed for and is it necessary ?? :confused:
I`v seen this on a few filter and pumps with no explanation as to there use !!

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Its used basically to prime the pump, prevent air lock, allowing all the air to evacuate, I think.. Seems to be the most logical explanation..

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Are you sure it goes from the pump, not to the pump? The little valve usually regulates the air going into the water stream.

Seasand

Sean
Apr 26, 2008
Millport, Scotland
I think you are right jackiomy, the water outlet nozzle from the pump has a 4mm nipple which is for attaching the airline to and on the other end of the airline is attached this little regulator valve which in turn is stuck to the outside of the tank via a suction cup. If this is the case then is there any need for an air pump and diffuser?

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I think you are right jackiomy, the water outlet nozzle from the pump has a 4mm nipple which is for attaching the airline to and on the other end of the airline is attached this little regulator valve which in turn is stuck to the outside of the tank via a suction cup. If this is the case then is there any need for an air pump and diffuser?
I don't use an air pump at all. I just use my powerhead with the air attachment in the furthest from the filter corner. That way I know all the water is aereated and moving.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
The air hose is to mix air with the outlet stream. You can use that method if you want to get a better air mix. There is no requirement to use it and is a personal preference. The line must go outside the tank to intake air by siphon effect. I have an air filter on the end of mine.

It has nothing to do with priming a system.

Seasand

Sean
Apr 26, 2008
Millport, Scotland
Thanks for the info guys. Very helpful !! I might just use one of the smaller filters with the air bleed on the fry tank instead of the air stone, it`s a little noisy for the good lady when she`s watching TV. Need to keep HARMONY in the household. lol...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store