no foam in my protein skimmer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fitter17

AC Members
Jan 18, 2009
Somewhere in Maryland
I don't get any foam in my protein skimmer. I have had it up and running for about a month and have live rock and one green chroma . why am i not collecting foam? I have a seaclone 100

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Two reasons...
1. Seaclones are mediocre, inconsistant skimmers that require quite a bit of tuning to work properly.
2. You're getting no foam because you have a very low bio-load in your tank. Low bio-load = very little DOCs/proteins to skim from the water.

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
The dreaded seaclone... You won't really ever be happy with this skimmer. For one your level in your tank will rise and fall due to evaporation and adding topoff water. What this means if you do adjust the skimmer, the next day it will be out of adjustment because the water level in the tank is not the same as the adjustment. There are only a few hang on the back skimmers that work well and seaclone is not one of them. Still with any hob skimmer you have to fight the water level being adjusted. This is true with any hang on the back skimmer unless you have some sort of top off system or use it in a sump where the water level remains constant....

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
I am afraid these guys are correct on the bad news with seaclones. YOu may want to google Seaclone Skimmer Modifications...see what others have come up with to get them to work decently.

To be honest if the tanks established there should be foam always something in that collection cup. If not ..its not skimming well enough. You add doc's yourself..with foods...and so do your live stock by pooping. =)

About HOB skimmers ...its true about maintaining water levels to get them to work properly. SOme skimmers are impacted in slight reductions from the evaporation. Some skimmers I know of don't get very impacted till the water is dramatically lower...but who would do that on purpose?...

The other solution is to put a reservoir tank with RO/DI water somewhere..and have one of those toilet switches in the tank...so when the water drops below a certain point it refills. They make products for fish tanks to... I wish I can remember the brand. I liked it... Has a bobble with a device inside that floats...when it hits the bottom from lack of water level...it triggers your pump to fill the tank.

Ill see what I can do on info on that..its the best compact one I have seen. The kent one that looks like a paddle is good in sumps...the Tsunami type reacts to pressure and is best in sumps...The only thing I can think of is stuff in the Home Depot for toilets... or that bauble I mentioned...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store