My assassins took down my oldest bridgesii this morning

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Well, these assassins have been being housed with this one adult bridgesii in a 36g for several months now. From the pics, you can see the size difference. The assassins are target fed bloodworms, pellets, and ramshorn and pond snails, all in ample supply. Today 4 of them went after my apple snail. By the time I saw, he was already paralyzed and down. :(
I thinks its time I got rid of these assassins.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Wow, a pack of snails team-hunting a bigger snail. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. Are you going to get rid of them, or just not house them with snails you like? If they've been breeding, it may be worthwhile to keep them. After all, it's not like there was spite behind the attack. They just wanted a change in menu. :(

Wow! What a size difference. Do they actually paralyze their pray?

I think she meant they had bitten him in the right spots to paralyze him.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
well, he is up and moving about. I have moved the apple to another tank since he is moving around again. With 4 assassins on him, I am shocked he has survived. I guess time will tell.

I have about 20 or so adult assassins and who knows how many babies. They have been breeding like crazy. I think I would like to get rid of all of them. I do not have a "safe" tank to keep them in since the one they are in now has cherry shrimp as well. I am going to start capturing and isolating them then will offer them up for sale I would imagine.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
well, he is up and moving about. I have moved the apple to another tank since he is moving around again. With 4 assassins on him, I am shocked he has survived. I guess time will tell.

I have about 20 or so adult assassins and who knows how many babies. They have been breeding like crazy. I think I would like to get rid of all of them. I do not have a "safe" tank to keep them in since the one they are in now has cherry shrimp as well. I am going to start capturing and isolating them then will offer them up for sale I would imagine.
I didn't know they bothered shrimp. I am thinking of getting rid of mine since I have gotten so attached to my other snails.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
They don't typically go after shrimp, but acouple people have reported that they have eaten them randomly. I don't think they are a consistent thread to shrimp, but since I do not have a pest snail problem, I don't think I want to keep these assassins as I don't have a tank (other than the oscar/endli tank) which does not have inverts I am attached to.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Set up a new 5g for them? Oh, and how much do you sell them for? They're 15$ whenever I see them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store