Basic question about a wet/dry filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I am making the switch to saltwater...I will be using a wet/dry filter and a protein skimmer that requires a certain water height (the classic berlin air lift). I'd like to stash the skimmer in the sump part of the wet/dry, but is it possible to mantain a consisten water height in the wet/dry?

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
You can add a baffle in the return section of the wet/dry, but that will shrink your return section. The smaller the return section the more frequently you will have to add water unless you invest in a ATO (auto-top-off) system of some sorts. Still you might want to look at replacing your wet/dry with another custom sump that you could baffle out yourself.

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
bear with me, I'm a rookie...if the wet dry is running and the water level is 3" above the pump, couldn't I just add water to the sump and the water level would rise? And then I would just have to top it off as the water evaporated?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
That's what I do. I simply top it off as needed. Sometimes I add to the main tank and sometimes I add it to the sump. Either way, you are still adding. I can control how much water to add better by adding at the sump.

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
bear with me, I'm a rookie...if the wet dry is running and the water level is 3" above the pump, couldn't I just add water to the sump and the water level would rise? And then I would just have to top it off as the water evaporated?
Correct, you can add water anywhere you want, it all ends up raising the level in the wet/dry.
I am getting a bit confused now. The only way you are going to have a consistent water level for you skimmer is to make another section in your sump by a means of a baffle. By doing this, it will drastically shrink the amount of space your return pump is in. The water level in that section will loose water faster than the rest of the sump section simply because the water level in your "new" skimmer section will stay constant. This means you have to add water more frequently... Got it?

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
got it...one more question: how do you guys have your return to the tank set up? Do you use a spray bar, fluval-like spout, etc....

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store