cheato vs mangroves in refugium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cesar333

Registered Member
Jul 25, 2006
Which would be better. Cheato algae or mangroves in a refugium. I know the benefits of cheato but i love the idea of having mangroves growing in my fugium. I have enough length to grow about 20 individual plants but i dont think i have enough depth to have cheato. Any suggestions?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Yup, mangroves you have to give them room to grow out of the water. When you first get them they are usually small and are completely submerged, but they will grow quite tall. I would say Cheato is a better thing to have for nutrient exporting, but there is no reason you can't have both cheato and a couple mangroves in your refugium as long as you have the room vertically and can hang the light up high enough. How much depth do you think cheato needs? My refugium is only about 4" deep after to take into account all the live rock rubble in it, and the rest is stuffed to the rim with cheato.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Chaetomorpha can sequester more nutrients much faster than a mangrove can. If you are looking for a fast export mechanism, go with the chaeto. If you are looking for a "cool, I have a tree" factor or to create a biotope, then go with the mangroves.

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
What type of space are you dealing with? I kept a good crop of chaeto in a 8"x10"x8" space in a 10 gallon sump. The light is important for its growth, I used a Compact Flourescent Floodlight that has it's own reflector such as the one found here:
23W PAR38 5100k
I am pretty sure that is the place I ordered mine from. Anyways, just reverse the lighting cycles, i.e. when you normal lights go off, your fuge lights come on and you will be happy with its growth.

Good Luck...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store