Wild-caught snail is looking a little...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Broken. I'm darn near 100% sure it's a calcium deficiency. It's not BROKEN, but you know... looking like it has the top layer cut out, so its brown with white patches all along his shell.

Will the snail be fine with his shell like this? Or will he most definitely die?

What should I do? I don't think he will go after any vegetables, of course I haven't tried, so who knows? It's just that I let cucumber sink into the tank one day an nary a snail was on it in the morning.

Any advice?
If I follow your advice, how long until his shell "heals"

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
I'm almost 100% sure it's a Mesa Ramshorn.
No clue on the PH
Also, no clue on the hardness in the water.
I live in southeastern Georgia (might as well be NE florida).
The water should be acidic.

But, I think it's more to do with calcium deficiency as I do not target feed my snails, I let them find food around the tank (MTS, pond snails, and the mesa)
I've just gotten attached to the big guy and I really like him and would not want to see him suffer.

Sorry for the lack of info on tank water, money is very tight : /

Picturegfdag54541 028.jpg

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
That is erosion. You could try target feeding, but that is more likely caused from soft water. You could buffer the water with crushed coral in the filter or using vacation feeders. If you use vacation feeders, some contain phosphorus which can cause algae, so be aware of that. He does not appear to be suffering at all as his shell does not have holes.

AquaGem

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Kzoo Michigan
Real Name
Tori
Snails need high ph. I'd guess it's a ph issue. You also have to feed your snails greens to make sure they get enough calcium. Have you ever made them snail jello? I don't think it's really a calcium problem because the new growth looks good. Could be wrong so don't take my word on it. Wait for the experts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store