Eheim 2217 or Rena XP3?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
They're about the same price. Anyone have experience with both? Can I adjust the flow on either? This would go on a 45H tank. My thought is that down the road, when I upgrade my tank, I won't have to upgrade the filter.

I'd really like to have the Eheim Pro 2 2028, but that's $200 :rolleyes:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
The Filstar xP-3 costs less, is adjustable, and has many options on setting up the return tubing, or spray-bar.

Have you compared the GPH on the two filters?? (GPH = Gallons Per Hour)

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
Ok here's what I've found from their websites:

The Eheim:
for tank size up to 150g
Pump output 260gph
Filter circulation 205gph
Delivery head 2.10 m Ws
Filter volume 1.5g
Power consumption 20 W
Dimentiones approx. ~7.5 inches x ~14 inches
Compartments ???

The XP3:
for tank size up to 65-156g
Pump output 351gph
Filter circulation
Delivery head 1.6 m
Filter volume 2.4g
Power consumption 19 W
Dimentiones approx.
Compartments 6

Two very comparable filters from this information. Anyone have knowledge of both? I must say, both Eheim & Rena really don't know how to put product information on the web. You can't even find out what the box contains, much less get a look at everything that is included. :rolleyes:

It doesn't look like the Eheim is self priming. The XP3 might be too much for my 45g tank, espeically considering it's heavily planted and I have Angels.

steve_bkk

AC Members
Oct 19, 2003
st Louis
Visit site
Eheim, Silent and reliable. People use them to water cool their CPU's in their PC's.
I only have one, but it's been running since the late 1980's. Haven't replaced any parts yet. (Mod 2011)

Priming really isn't a problem when cleaning the cannister.
Steve

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Eheim, no question. Priming a 2217 (one of the old Classic series) really isn't that hard. It's a bit more involved than with newer version that have an integrated starter. The difference in quality, craftsmanship and longevity of the Eheim would more than make up for the slight increase in hassling with priming.

Jim

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
Yea, I always thought using an Eheim water pump was overkill for a water-cooling system. I used to use a little generic pump that worked great. The 1048 & 1250 were very popular among enthusiasts. Still are actually.

I'm just so sick of sucking on my Fluval 304 to get a mouth full of not only water, but fish-tank-sludge. EWWWWW!

What I really need is a hefty discount on a Eheim 2128.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Maybe an xP-2 then.. also extremely quiet...:)

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
I think I might be of help here. I have had two "classic Eheim's", and I currently own a Rena XP1 and XP3. I found nothing from a quality standpoint between the canister/ motor assembies that makes the Ehiem superior. In fact, the Eheim canister slipped out of my fingers from less than 6" above the sink and it cracked, thats why I say "had" an Eheim, and sold the other which I never really used. Also, a friend of mine was looking at a used Eheim in a LFS and he broke a latch on it, I don't know how either, he is a big Eheim guy. From a features and layout perspective the Filstars are more comparable to the Eheim Pro than the classic anyways. The Filstar does have adjustable output, but I don't use it. But here is my long take on the comparison:

Things I liked about my Eheim:
1. Quiet
2. One piece inputs/outputs
3. You always know you will be able to find parts for it, Eheim reputation.
4. Media, their media seems to be superior to others I have seen, but it doesn't come with the canister, so its kind of a mute point.

What I didn't like was the following:
1. No integrated shutoff on the tubing, makes cleaning a lot more of an issue. Yes, priming is an issue because you almost have to empty the tubing to clean the filter.
2. All the media is just dumped loose in the canister. So, if you want to clean the media or change something, it is a chore.
3. The tube that comes out of the bottom of the canister makes it a little awkward in tight spaces, I know, the Rena's have a larger footprint to start off with.
4. Proprietary tubing that almost requires you buy Eheim accessories($$)

Filstars:
1. Integrated shutoff/disconnect, I unplug, flip the lever and grab the canister, run water over the media in the baskets, put it back, flip the lever and it refills, plug it in and done.
2. Filter Media Baskets: Media is in seperate media baskets that lift out of the canister easily. This makes cleaning, media changing, etc very easy. Also, you can use any brand media, I do.
3. Quiet as Eheim IMO.
4. Easy impeller maintenance
5. Standard size tubing, I use generic surface skimmers with mine and they work great and fit.
6. Many different input/output options come standard saving cost at startup, but see below.

Dislikes:
1. Input/output options are just press fit togther in many peices. My filters becoming fountains are a big worry for me. I ended up siliconing the first two pieces that go over the side of the tank to make sure. Never actually had a problem, but just to be safe.
2. plastic on in/outs fade, my XP1 is over three years old and the top side of the spary bar is a little faded, probably from the 350 watts MH that was baring down it:)

Obviously, my vote is for the Filstar XP2 or XP3. I know Eheims have a great reputation and you can't really go wrong with one. But, the added features and ease of maintenance at less overall cost make all the difference to me. Also, it seems like a lot of the people who prefer the Eheims, have never owned a Filstar. For years, I could see that it was the only option.

Disclaimer: None of this is to be taken as hard facts or insults, it is just my humble opinion from my experience.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store