anybody have an adult blue velvet damsel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

avanc

Aialik..cutest otter in Oregon!!
Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
years ago i had a beautiful lil blue velvet damsel that i adored, unfortunately i had a heater malfunction and my tank overheated while i was at work. i was wondering if anyone had a picture of one in it's adult colors, i believe (like many damsels) they change colors as they mature? i was just wondering what they look like when mature and how large they get anyway? thanks for any help!:)

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I'm beginning to wonder if one exists. I have a couple my larger one is around 4". Still colored nice. LFS has one around 5" still cololred nice.

Awhile back I added a smaller one to the tank, and it has now started to change to almost all black.

I will theorize, but it is said this damsel is haremetic, meaning one male, lots of female. I'm thinking the male may stay colorful, while the female would change color. Just guessing.

I wrote WWM, and they don't say there is anyway to tell male from female by looking. Not alot of info on these guys.

What I am hoping is that my little one has been sexing to female, and thus the color change. Considering that I have two in one 37 gallon tank, one should be dead by now.

Last edited:

avanc

Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
I had mine for a lil over a year and a half and he wasn't showing any signs of losing his blue....funny thing is mine was the nicest fish in the old tank. So how old are yours now? Also do you think one could co-exist with a maroon clown?

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I would think they are fine as long as the clown is not a mean one. I saw the 5" velvet damsel swimming right alongside other fish at the LFS.

Santa Monica has one in his reef tank, which I find hard to believe, because mine eats everything.

The key would be a big enough tank, and adding them at the same time.

But my experience with the two I have is that some of the other damsels are really mean, much more so than the neons I have seen to date.

My damsel is about a year and a half old. My first fish also.

avanc

Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
Thanks snailrider, I checked out Santa Monica's tank pics, looks like a decent sized one too, and still has those colors. Well that makes me hopeful, My husbands clown is already settled in this tank....guess I'll just do a water change, move the rocks all around and watch like a hawk! this is the most docile maroon I've ever seen so hopefully i can have my blue velvet too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store