an update on my angel situation...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chipstahoy

i like herps...and fish
Oct 17, 2003
michigan
www.msu.edu
so today i moved the fish that were in the tv aquarium (20 g) and put the two golds and the bigger koi in there cuz they were the most peaceful (and the largest actually). everyone seems to be more peaceful, and there is definitely more space for everyone. i definitely think that the one that had the "poop" thingy is really a female and it's really her papillae. i'm pretty sure she's ready to breed, and i think one of the smokys is a male and he was trying to follow her around for a bit. i think i can see his papillae thingy as well, and his is definitely more pointy (as it should be). so now i'm just waiting till i can carry buckets of water around so i can change my water more often (cuz i can't really do that with a broken collar bone). thank you guys for all the help. i hope that i can finally acquire at least one breeding pair. that'd be awesome. thanks

-chip

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
that's great news Chip!! I'm sure you'll get a pair before long. Talking about carrying aroound bucket, why don't you just go out and get the python. It will make water changes and maintenance so much more easier, especially with your collar-bone healing. It'd be an awesome investment to say the least!

Good luck ;)

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
Hey! Glad to hear that things are going well! I wish I had a python, my boyfriend does and he gets his 6 tanks done in the time it takes me to do 2! GRRR!!! Anyway, I hope you get some terra cotta pots, because the angels need a dark hiding place to have fry in. My dad used to breed them when he was younger and had 8 40 gallon tanks going filled with fry and breeding pairs... until his mom painted the house when he was away... then there were no fish... :(

chipstahoy

i like herps...and fish
Oct 17, 2003
michigan
www.msu.edu
yeah, a python would be great. the only problem is that they're a bit expensive for my student budget, and i don't think my parents support my hobby enough to throw out $40 or so just because my collarbone's broken for now. i dunno...i should ask just to make sure. thanks

-chip

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You can DIY a python pretty easily. Get a waterbed fill kit and some clear tubing from Home Depot. Not much else involved.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The water bed repair kit comes with an adapter that fits onto most faucets, attaches to a hose (or, in this case, the clear tubing with a hose clamp to keep it from leaking), and will generate the siphon needed to drain the tank. Then, there's an adapter that attached the clear tubing (again, with a hose clamp to secure the tubing to the adapter) to allow you to fill the tank from the faucet. Water temp can be adjusted at the faucet, and any treatment is added as the water flows into the tank. Clear tubing is pretty cheap--think last time I bought any it was about $0.30 per foot for 1-inch diameter hose, so you can get 30 feet of the stuff for $9. Waterbed fill kits are about $5, and 2 hose clamps will run about $0.40.

For those who don't want their old water to go down the drain, once the siphon has started you can redirect the hose to any down hill location, such as a flower bed.

chipstahoy

i like herps...and fish
Oct 17, 2003
michigan
www.msu.edu
hey, that's a pretty slick idea. my friend has a python tho, so do you think i could just use his hose and buy my own adapters? i was just going to take his adapter off his faucet, but it's stuck on there. where would i buy the adapters? just at any petstore? thanks

-chip

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store