A couple live rock questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Hi all,
Well I'm starting a 125 saltwater tank, and was hoping to not break the bank too bad on live rock. There's a guy about 2 hours from me that is selling live rock for 2 bucks a pound. Definitely a good price, but I don't really know what to look for in live rock. He sent me these pictures, so I was wondering if you could check it out and let me know if it's good stuff or not.

I was thinking of buyign 200 pounds. I know it's hard to say because of varying densities and such, but how full would 200 pounds make my tank? Do I want to buy more or less, or is 200 good?

Thanks!

rock1.jpg rock2.jpg

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Looks all fine too me...The colors will change somewhat when its in another tank, as the coralline colors will change because of the different lighting, params etc etc....

I would say 200lbs in a 125 gal tank will give you a very good sized rock structure..

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks for the reply reefscape. I could probably spring for 250-300 pounds if needed, but do you think that would be stuffing it too full at that point?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Looks good to me too and at a great price! 200 lbs. in a 125 should be plenty I would think.

I hope I can find a deal like that when our 125 is ready to be setup! :)

dmjordan

AC Members
Apr 10, 2007
columbia, md
the price is good and the rock looks pretty good. just remember size does matter...lol sorry back on topic. get big pieces of lr a good for a few reasons. the provide a good surface area to place coral frags, plugs, and disks. they also make it very easy to build large caves and structures for your fish to swim in and out of, and it won't look like a large pile of rubble sitting in your tank that no fish can swim/sleep in and will restrict waterflow in your tank.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Thanks for the reply reefscape. I could probably spring for 250-300 pounds if needed, but do you think that would be stuffing it too full at that point?
200lbs, in my opinion, is more than enough..much more than that and i think it would just look like a tank full of rock...You also have to the think about the ammount of water displacement by all the rock your adding...More rock there is, the less actual water present...

cullyisgully

salt water ffeen
Jan 24, 2007
Queens, New York
200lbs, in my opinion, is more than enough..much more than that and i think it would just look like a tank full of rock...You also have to the think about the ammount of water displacement by all the rock your adding...More rock there is, the less actual water present...

lesoon to this guy he know his stuff... 200 pounds of livr rock is just good no more man... what are you going to do to this tank reef or fish.???? and give us pics of your tank so we can see what is going on in your head... lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store