Kribs vs Rams??????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KuchDaddy

Hu-Mans, listen to me.
Jan 24, 2007
Vienna, VA
I just set up a 30 gallon long and I am trying to decide how to stock it.

I plan to have:
1) 5 panda cories
2) Some kind of small schooling/dither fish
3) Either a single or pair of either kribs or rams.

Is one more difficult to care for than the other? Also, how difficult is it to find a compatible pair for each? Is it just a matter of getting a male and a female, or would I need to get several and see which one's get along?

Any advice in helping me decide between the two would be helpful.
I have been keeping fish for about 2 years, so I am not a total noob, but I have never kept cichlids.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Hardness tests. Most important indicators of what fish are suitable for your tank.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Asian-farmed rams tend to be weak when kept in higher Gh/Kh water, they tend to do better in softer water. However, I personally have 2 domestically bred rams that have been thriving for nearly a year in my moderately hard water (pH 7.8, gH 12, kH 8....or maybe I have gH and kH mixed up). If you can get good stock, as long as your water isn't super hard, I would go for rams but that's just my preference. Kribs are cool too and a pair would be great in a 30G.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
ill tell you a little something about the whole hardness thing: yes it can be a big factor in trying to breed fish and for fish health in general. however, a lot of fish, if you take the time, can be acclimated to live in the water conditions that are out of your tap. in all honesty, unless you know what you are doing, you can create more problems trying to mess with your pH/hardness/etc. than by leaving it alone. i keep balloon rams (german blue rams with a shortened body). these guys tend to be a bit more sensitive than normal rams. the water out of my tap is a 7.6 pH (i havent tested gh in a while) and they are fine. brightly colored, eating like horses, active. these little guys were bred in water similar to mine though, not imported, wild-caught specimens. do a bunch of research first, then get the fish.

KuchDaddy

Hu-Mans, listen to me.
Jan 24, 2007
Vienna, VA
I don't know the exact parameters, but I know that PH is fairly high, and my water is also on the hard side.

Does one or the other do better in harder water?
I am not necessarily trying to breed them, but it would be cool if it happened.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Rams prefer softer water (for breeding mainly) but it depends on the source. Your run of the mill LFS rams are 99% of the time asian bred and will have a difficult time adjusting to harder water. Locally or European bred rams will adjust just fine though.

I haven't heard of kribs being as finicky with water.

KuchDaddy

Hu-Mans, listen to me.
Jan 24, 2007
Vienna, VA
Rams prefer softer water (for breeding mainly) but it depends on the source. Your run of the mill LFS rams are 99% of the time asian bred and will have a difficult time adjusting to harder water. Locally or European bred rams will adjust just fine though.

I haven't heard of kribs being as finicky with water.
Thanks! So far it sounds like kribs might be easier.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
rams... they wont bully and they are beautiful... dont get the blue rams though as they are more difficult to take care of (at least in my area)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store