bristleworm control

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
what do you suggest? i have heard Bicolor Pseudochromis eat these,
i want something to eat and hunt them,..........not traps

i have many and been picking out large ones but there are so many tiny ones everywhere,..
and when doing a large water change, and moving around rocks to really clean, they crawled out and squirted out stuff i assume eggs? saw many of them doing this, so i guess i'm plagued again, they are everywhere and i find many pieces of them in my skimate, and other filter stuff,.. cut up means more right?

Bristleworm Exterminators

Often unseen, most mini-reef aquariums will have many bristleworms hidden in the sand bed and among the lower rocks. If you ever come out at night and suddenly light the aquarium, you will see these scavengers crawling around the sand bed. While the smaller worms generally pose no problems, larger types, five inches plus, can start to bother clams and other low level corals and anemones. The best control is the natural control, using predators to control the population of the Bristleworms. The Exterminator pack includes Coral Banded Shrimp and Bicolor Pseudochromis. Both will consume bristleworms, while the Coral Banded Shrimp will also scavenge detritus and occasionally act as a Cleaner Shrimp for the fish. The Bicolor Pseudochromis will readily adapt to other meaty based prepared foods. Be aware that they prefer to "catch" their food as it drifts in the water.

Detailed Information about this package.

whats your take on this any personal experience?
just wanted to check before i fall for advertisments

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
A sixline wrasse is also an option as well as an arrow crab. No experience with either, I do have a coral banded shrimp but have not seen him eat the bristleworms.

Please keep in mind that typically the bristleworm population grows when the nutrients get out of wack. Overfeeding, protein skimmer not working up to par, etc.

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
:iagree:
The more you feed the more bristleworms you'll get, they can only build up in numbers if there is enough food for them.

I have a Coral Banded Shrimp and have seen him eat bristleworms on a few occasions. If they are well fed CBS tend not to eat bristleworms but if you don't target feed for a few days they will seek them out. I also know Hawkfish will eat bristleworms. Please note that the Bicolor Pseudochromis, Sixline Wrasse and some Hawkfish are known to be aggressive so if you do chose a fish/shrimp or whatever that they are compatible with the tank and fish you already have. Nothing wrong with adding a fish that does a job, but like I said make sure it is compatible.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i have a 30 long with a pair of small black ocellaris clowns, and i have a lot of snails so i was putting pellets in there for the snails, but have sense stopped for over a month and now mu vibex snails are dropping off from hunger, and the few hermits have left are picking at the snails, i just want these gone or at least down in numbers,

there were tons of them in the lr when i got it,..not sure what will fit in there

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store