filtering a nano-reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
Stupid newb question here. As some of you are aware, I'm planning a 14g nano cube measuring 15"x15"x15". A true cube :evil_lol: . I know with nano reefs that skimmers are "debatable" and have no wish to open that can of worms. I also understand that my filtration is in the LR. However, that still doesn't stop me from asking, would running a canister filter with just sponges (like a C-160) and cleaning once a week be a good idea or no. I know that canisters can become nitrate factorys but is that risk eliminated from regular cleanings?

Oh, on other question, I'm building the tank myself so what would be a good size for the glass without going overkill?

Current plans.
14g nano-reef cube
15-20lbs of LR
2 Koralia Nano powerheads
1 100w Stealth heater
21 LED array with a mix of Royal Blue, Blue and 6700K (supposedly, I think its higer) LEDs.

I'm tempted to start the construction on the tank, then from there get parts slowly (already have the heater) untill its complete.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
1/4" glass is good up to 18" depths, so that should be fine for your purposes.

I would do 50% weekly water changes rather than a skimmer on a tank that size, although if you are going to do SPS at some point you may want to work one into the plans anyway. I would skip the canister, mostly because I just don't like cleaning them out that often, I get lazy about it. If you are going to do a good cleaning of the sponges every week, it might work, but I'm not sure how necessary or functional it would be.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
A canister incorporating one or more types of chemical filtration media would be a good idea, in addition to weekly water changes to keep water quality at an optimum.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I don't know the price of the canister you've mentioned, but I'd run a simple media reactor with phosphate remover and/or carbon instead of a full canister. You could just as easily add either or both of those media to a canister, if you'd prefer to stick with a canister filter.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I agree that a media reactor would be a better route.

No, I actually completely missed the LED part. Unless you've measured the amount of useful light (PAR), then I would shy from using the LED array and look toward a small metal halide fixture or pendant.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
21 of the high powered LEDs like Luxeons or Rebels will probably be enough for at least zoas, softies, maybe LPS...its basically half of a 2' Solaris array, over a 15x15" footprint. It would be interesting to get a PAR meter under it after its built though.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I would love to be proved wrong.. really.. I love LEDs and think someday they will be the choice of lighting, but I think even the best of the best, the I series Solaris, isn't quite there yet... close, but MH is still a much better option today. Softies I don't doubt, but getting onto duncans and frogspawns may prove to be too much for that lighting. We will see though, I definately enourage Cory Keeper to build that light to show us what it can do. :)

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
Actually ace, take a look at my 29g build thread, I havn't updated in a while, but plants are going wild :D .

Regarding how many, the I-14 uses 30, so its gonna be up there. I may look at adding some more, It wouldn't be too much trouble, just solder them in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store