The Muppy Pluppy Experiment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bethany1979

Going insane, wanna come?
Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
Can a molly and a guppy or a guppy and a platy successfully reproduce? This experiment is intended to answer that question. In a controlled experiment I will be introducing 2 junvenile female molly (not yet mature) and to juvenile female platy, to 1 male guppy. If at any time these fish show signs of stress, the experiment will be cancelled and all fishes will be returned to their community tank. This may take several months to complete, as the female fish have to mature. It is necessary to use virgin fish to ensure the validity of the experiment. A cross between a molly and guppy will be more likely than a guppy platy hybrid. But, I really like to say pluppy. Pluppy pluppy pluppy! Ok maybe I'm a little :screwy:

Your thoughts on such an experiment?:nilly::naughty::hitting::read:

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
As long as no one gets hurt and the hybrids (if any) stay confined to your own tanks, I say go for it. Let's hope for interesting results!

Bethany1979

Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
As long as no one gets hurt and the hybrids (if any) stay confined to your own tanks, I say go for it. Let's hope for interesting results!
As I said, any sign off stress to any of the fish, the experiment will be cancelled. I love my fish and don't want them harmed. I've got my own myth busters thing going on here:)

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
lol good luck!!! i would like to buy some pluppys in the future!!!!!

summer_of_41

AC Members
May 18, 2008
Chicago suburb
Why only 2? For better odds of fry survival, I'd start with at least 4 females. The more hybrid fry, the better chances for some to survive into adulthood.

I've never heard of a case of pluppy (male platy, female guppy) or glaty (male guppy, female platy).

Bethany1979

Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
Why only 2? For better odds of fry survival, I'd start with at least 4 females. The more hybrid fry, the better chances for some to survive into adulthood.

I've never heard of a case of pluppy (male platy, female guppy) or glaty (male guppy, female platy).
Only 2 cause it's being done in a 5 gallon. I'm just adding the platy out of curiosity and cause I like to say pluppy.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
what fish do you have to take care of any possible off spring? really to do this right it might take 20-30 tanks.... different match ups.... one tank male of a guppy the next female.... also it might be a very rare thing so only doing one lowers the chance.... i have yet to see any proof other then well its been a lone for some time.... really the only way to do this is to send the fish in to a lab to do genetics on it.

good luck

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
As I said, any sign off stress to any of the fish, the experiment will be cancelled. I love my fish and don't want them harmed. I've got my own myth busters thing going on here:)

Can't say no to that! Good luck and keep us updated.

Bethany1979

Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
what fish do you have to take care of any possible off spring? really to do this right it might take 20-30 tanks.... different match ups.... one tank male of a guppy the next female.... also it might be a very rare thing so only doing one lowers the chance.... i have yet to see any proof other then well its been a lone for some time.... really the only way to do this is to send the fish in to a lab to do genetics on it.

good luck
Argentine horned frog would take care of offspring if there are any. And I'm not doing this for any scientific purposes or for the record. It's for my own pure curiosity and I thought I would share. If I was wrong in doing so, my bad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store