Help! Fish swimming vertically

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marimba12

AC Members
Sep 8, 2007
Hello-
Help! I've had one of my Blue Rams for about a year now and he's always been quite healthy. A couple days ago though, he just started swimming vertically. He pretty much just stays in one spot and swims upward. He's breathing heavily, but there are no other visible symptoms (color is normal, no torn fins). The water parameters are nominal and all the other fish in my 36 gallon tank (including several Blue Rams) are doing just fine. Do you have any idea what's going on? Thank you!

37gallong

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Haiku
Has anything at all changed in his surroundings? Even outside of the tank, is there a couch moved or something? My fish are very aware of what goes on outside the tank. They trip out when things arent just right.

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
Does he ook like he is trying to get to the top but can't? I had a fish that i found had a gill infection of some sort and he was having difficulty breathing. He sat at the top but got so tired that he eventually did similar to what you are saying.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
id get some medication and put the correct amount of freshwater salt in your tank... also, make sure your tank is oxogenated, put a bubble thing at the bottom of your tank and hook it up to a pump to help oxogenate the water. Act fast and good luck!
:headbang2:

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
"Freshwater salt" is an oxymoron. What's the thinking behind suggesting a salt addition? It has its uses, but it's not a cure-all and I can't see what it would do for this sort of problem.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Water parameters are "nominal"?

Have you seen the fish defecate? Is it eating?

I'd caution against any meds or adding salt without a definite diagnosis. The approach of medicate now, medicate alot, medicate with everything possible usually causes more issues than it corrects.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
Hello-
Help! I've had one of my Blue Rams for about a year now and he's always been quite healthy. A couple days ago though, he just started swimming vertically. He pretty much just stays in one spot and swims upward. He's breathing heavily, but there are no other visible symptoms (color is normal, no torn fins). The water parameters are nominal and all the other fish in my 36 gallon tank (including several Blue Rams) are doing just fine. Do you have any idea what's going on? Thank you!
I don't know much about Blue Rams, but by the sounds of it, it seems like it's an internal disease. I personally would try some Epsom Salt, magnesium sulfate, and see if the fish poops. Sometimes, swim bladder may cause that, Epsom is said to help. If you are not able to find out what the problem is, I'd go with a broad spectrum anti-bacteria, like Maracyn I and II.

Hope your fish gets well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store