Good Deal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Greg J

Aquaticus Fanaticus
Jan 1, 2005
Boise, ID
I’m about to take the transition to my first saltwater aquarium. My plan was to setup a 75 gallon display tank with a 35~40 gallon refugium (DIY), protean skimmer (Octopus NW-150), and 100 lb of live rock, 3”~ 4”sand bed, and standard 6500K florescent lights for starters. Then I was going to stock it with some reef safe fish (FOWLR) and down the road, when I could afford the correct lighting, start adding corals. . .
. . . Well, I discovered there is a 4 year old established 125 gallon (+30 gallon refugium) tank in the area for sale for considerably less than I would cost me to set up the 75 I had planned. It has 200 lb of live rock. I would still want to upgrade the lighting on it, but it still seems like a bargain.
It has a large (about 8~9”) Moon or Lunar Wrasse which I would sell/trade before transitioning to a reef setup. It also has a good sized yellow tang, a large powder blue tang, and a large shoal tang. There are also some soft corals (mushrooms, star polyps, and one other I can’t remember the name offhand), and a sea urchin, and some snails.
The seller is even including his RO/DI filter with new filter cartridges, plus a bunch of test kits and miscellaneous equipment for less than I could buy the tank, stand, refugium tank, skimmer, and return pump for the 75 gallon setup I was planning.
With those three large tangs in the tank is there room for any other fish, or is this setup maxed out?
In addition to corals, eventually I’d like to have some anemones, clownfish, flame angel, brittle stars, and some crabs and shrimp. Would the current occupants of this tank be compatible ?
Thanks
Greg J

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
The fact that is is less than what you were willing to spend makes it a good deal. You can always sell/trade the unwanted livestock if you decide you don't want them. If you already have the 75 you could turn that into a refugium/sump.

Greg J

Aquaticus Fanaticus
Jan 1, 2005
Boise, ID
Thanks Excuz
I forgot to mention a UV filter, and phosphate reactor, are also included.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Seems like a good deal to me. If you have the room and resources for a larger tank and it costs you less, go for it.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
If it's cheaper than the 75g set-up you were piecing together, you could always use the money saved to upgrade the lighting down the road when that time comes (or any other equipment you feel needs an upgrade).

As mentioned above, livestock is easy enough to switch out if you need to remove a fish or two in order to get what you really want. If unwanted fish aren't traded in at the time the tank is moved, a good fish trap and some patience will be all you need to remove fish down the road (well... and the room in the tank for the trap, which can sometimes be an issue).

I feel that's too many tangs if they are all fairly sizeable. I would pick your favorite(s) and trade the other(s) in for credit at the LFS.

Greg J

Aquaticus Fanaticus
Jan 1, 2005
Boise, ID
I feel that's too many tangs if they are all fairly sizeable. I would pick your favorite(s) and trade the other(s) in for credit at the LFS.
Yea, it' s a pretty "tangy" setup :) (groan)
The sohal tang is stunning, it looks like it’s about 11" long. Of the three tangs I'd probably keep that one as a centerpiece fish, (it’s the largest of the three). The powder blue is a little smaller, and the yellow is the smallest, although it’s the biggest yellow tang I’ve ever seen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store