125 Gallon Newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

finnyman

Registered Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hey everyone!

So I went to a LFS to check out 55 gallon tanks, (glass for ~$100) and asked an employee if they had anything bigger so I could compare size. Found a 6' long, 125 gallon monster for $40 on clearance (regularly $420). $50 after 3 versatops & tax. My fiance has no idea what shes in for!

Thinking about starting a freshwater planted community tank, although debated making it a stingray tank (they had an awesome motoro ray at a LFS) i just don't think its big enough. Anyway I really like the look of dwarf baby tears and madacascar lace, so I'm most likely looking at some Power Compacts (2 @ 96 watts?) and some kind of CO2 system.

But all this is a bit unrealistic for now, as I now need to design and build a custom stand for the monster...

Finny

finnyman

Registered Member
Feb 3, 2009
yeah I decided that a ray tank would be a little unrealistic. I'm pretty sure I want to do a planted freshwater tank, similar to this one I found. I'm thinking mostly Dwarf Baby Tears with some longer grass type plant (Lilaeopsis maybe), with a few madagascar lace plants. In terms of equipment, I was thinking of getting an Eheim thermofilter, and an additional biowheel filter. What do you think about these filters? Also, do you think the lighting setup mentioned in the last post would be a good choice?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! I recommend starting a thread in the Newbie forum or the planted tanks area with your questions for more responses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store