African Cichlids with Angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
i have an angelfish in my 29 gallon and was hoping to put some smaller african cichlids in the tank with him, but im afraid they will fight. Are there any kinds of african cichlids I can put in with him?

RiftLakeRosco

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
not really.... and there is a million reasons why. water param. are way different. feeding, aggression levels.... i have heard of stranger things, but MOST of the time. NO

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Dietary needs are also different. Angels would constantly be stressed by aggressive Africans. They have different behavior patterns. Africans are equipped to deal with the aggression of other Africans. Angelfish are not. Angels form pairs while most Africans need ratios of 1 male to 3 females. It simply would not work out in the long run.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
There are a million reasons why it would not work. First of all a 29 gallon is too small to house africans, they are nasty and could kill the angel one way or another, different water parameters, different diet. It would not work at all

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
nope not a good ideal even kribs would be a nasty treat with angels..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store