Differentiating unidentified Taiwan shrimp from Caridina japonica (Amano shrimp)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
So this article I read on Breeding Yamato Shrimp (excellent read btw) has an addendum near the bottom that reads:

"Addendum 3: several people have reported a shrimp which looks very similar to Caridina japonica, but which is capable of reproducing in fresh water. Allegedly this unidentified shrimp comes from Taiwan, and can be separated from C. japonica by the size of the rostrum, and on the fact that it lacks the two small blue spots C. japonica has on the uropods."

So naturally I got curious about whether I have Amanos or this as yet unidentified Taiwanese shrimp. Did a little more digging to find out what the rostrum and uropods are - Dwarf Shrimp Anatomy and I went to stare at my tank for awhile to see if I could spot any (or lack of any) blue spots on my shrimp's uropods. The one decent macro shot I have of my shrimp doesn't display it's rostrum. I can't tell yet, but it's still early and I will keep staring.

My question is: does anyone have photos showing an amano's blue spots on their uropods? And does anyone know what the difference is between the two species' rostrum is? Which specie's rostrum is bigger than the other? Shape? The article doesn't specify.

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
upon long, eye-straining inspection I can see two absolutely tiny spots (smaller than a pinprick) on the outermost 2 "fans" of the uropod. They are so small I can't tell if they're white or light blue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store