peat moss incubation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mroth_3

shrimp boat captain
Dec 24, 2008
Iowa
I've collected 30+ eggs the last couple days from my killies (gardneris) and put them in shallow containers to incubate. I've been changing the water daily and adding a drop of maroxy. I dont have methelyne blue available to me localy and was told maroxy would do the same thing. I noticed a lot of the eggs are starting to grow fungus even though i check for white ones twice a day and remove them. I thought maybe peat incubation would be a nice alternative for future spawns. My question is: How wet is the peat suppose to be? Any other tips and suggestions regarding this process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mroth_3

shrimp boat captain
Dec 24, 2008
Iowa
well thus far, maroxy doesn't seem to be preventing it. I understand that you dont want them to dry out, but can the peat get too wet? Im sure that would cause more fungal growth. Im just not sure how wet to have it, nor what type of container to peat the peat/egg mix in.

mroth_3

shrimp boat captain
Dec 24, 2008
Iowa
Thanks for the link. I've recieved annual eggs in the mail before, so I have seen how dry the peat is for them. Do you suppose that dampness applies to semi-annual plant spawners as well?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store