goldfish lying on side on bottom?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ebola

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
Hi all,

I have a small oranda whose lying on his side on the bottom of the tank. His gills are moving, and he flaps his fins every now and again. I moved him to qt but haven't done anything since. All the other inhabitants are fine. I did a 20% water change the night before he got sick. I've only tested ammonia, but it's zero. Any ideas?

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
tank size,other inhabitants,how long has it been up and running, what filtration do you have,could a pollutant have gotten in there with the water change, lol sooo many questions, you will need a test for nitrite and nitrate too at the very minimum. go for drip tests instead of strips as apparently the strips can be unreliable. give some more info and im sure someone can help you. good luck.

ebola

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
yes, i did use water conditioner. the tanks been up for about nine months. its a 55, 5 other goldies (small). i know its slightly overstocked. filtration needs to be upgraded eventually, its an hob rated for a 55. but like I said, ammonia's zero, so i dont think its an issue yet. i dont think nitrate is going to be high bc of the wc. and i doubt i lost the cycle, so i bet nitrite will be zero as well. like i said, every other fish is fine, theres no discoloration that would indicate nitrite poisoning

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
yes, i did use water conditioner. the tanks been up for about nine months. its a 55, 5 other goldies (small). i know its slightly overstocked. filtration needs to be upgraded eventually, its an hob rated for a 55. but like I said, ammonia's zero, so i dont think its an issue yet. i dont think nitrate is going to be high bc of the wc. and i doubt i lost the cycle, so i bet nitrite will be zero as well. like i said, every other fish is fine, theres no discoloration that would indicate nitrite poisoning
It's all very well thinking that such and such is zero and beting that something is 0 but you don't know that for sure. Get some tests done!

ebola

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
api frashwater master. not the strips. test results are fine. water parameters are fine. filter is ok.

Mr. U

Can I have a cookie...pweeeze?
Oct 18, 2006
California Central Coast
All parameters are at 0? Something's up...hmmm.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
maybe lost cycle? unless because of the water change the nitrates were so low they were unreadable?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store