"surface feeders"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
My 55g tank is doing well, and slowly i'm introducing fish.

problem is that i'm having trouble picking out a species that would eat near the top.

i thought i had it with my tomato clown, but he likes to feed only mid/bottom.

ATM i have 1 lawnmower blenny, orange sleeper gobi, tomato clown, and a pair of mandrin fish.

I was hoping the mandrin's would've been more mid tank feeders, but they are so lazy... and just wait for the food at the bottom to float by.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The firefish and scissortail dartfish we have both eat at mid- to top-level.

Devilish

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
Northeast NJ
I have a small school of 4 blue/green chromis which are always on the top of my tank. They are fun little guys and may be something to consider. They are damsels but not aggressive like the rest, should get along fine with the rest of you fish. BTW, how long have you had the tank setup for? Hope you have a sufficient pod population to support 2 mandarins.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
why do you want something that would eat at the top, any specific reason?

i doubt the mandarins would eat any run of the mill fish food. even in an established 55 gallon tank two mandarins would destroy any pods in no time, IMO

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
the tanks been running close to a year.

also "pods"? im scared now.................
i did some book reading and it didnt say anything about pods.

so far they are eating fine and are not harassed by my other fishes. day 3 is tomorrow x.x

skene

AC Members
Mar 8, 2008
amphipods. basically the only things that mandarins eat... or did the LFS not tell you that? They are the little bug/shrimp looking things that scurry around the tank in the shadows.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Yes I do want fish that are more active.

With the current 5 I have, they spend most of their time in their caves.
The only exception is during feeding, but if I move they all dart away :headshake2:.

I'm hoping that in adding more active fish will help encourage the others to come out.

Note: Also I've caught my wife's nefew tapping on the tank :swear:.
Assuming this to be the cause I'm glad that we are getting our own place soon...hopefully.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
If it is a matter of top feeders, my school of green chromis are typically at the top of the water. My yellow tang is all over the tank - mid to upper mostly. I don't think I would put a yellow tang in a 55.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
If it is a matter of top feeders, my school of green chromis are typically at the top of the water. My yellow tang is all over the tank - mid to upper mostly. I don't think I would put a yellow tang in a 55.

yea im staying away form large fishes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store