Cured or not cured

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Soccer

AC Members
May 14, 2002
Guelph, Ontario
Visit site
Well i posted this before, but after the forum switch i didn't get to read the awnser so heres the question again.

Hoe do you tell wether or not the LR is cured or uncured. (besides the word of the LFS).

Thanx ;) And thanx moderators, and administrators
for the hard work involved in the switch

any reason to why i had to re-register????

Last edited:

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Uncured live rock is going to have a lot more life on it, some of it alive and thriving, some of it dead and dying. You should in particular see a lot more sessile life on uncured live rock, especially sponges. As far as a quick way to distinguish between them, uncured rock will...stink. It has dying organisms in/on it, so it will be a bit rank as compared to cured live rock, which doesn't have a real noticable smell.

JohnMemorialHS

Speed Demon
Apr 15, 2001
Madison, WI, USA
Putting cured liverock in FRESH SW, you will have ammonia and nitrite registering, because liverocks themselves will produce waste, and stuff on it do die off. So the best way is to ask the LFS dealer, they wouldn't lie about the status of their liverock.

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
Well when I said fresh sw I meant clean water that has mixed properly. I would also believe that any fully cured rock will have enough bacteria/algae on it to "dispose" of any nitrogenous wastes produced by the normal biological activities of the organisms on the rock. If there is any die-off still ocurring then I would not consider the rock fully cured...just my opinion though. Also, I know it's probably not typical, but my boss at the lfs doesn't know didly about saltwater and wouldn't know what to tell you if you asked if the rock was cured or not :(

JustPhish

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
www.justphish.com
How much life appears on the rock is not a very reliable way to determine how cured it is. I have rock in my own tanks with tons of sponges and other life growing because it's been established and the rock has been cured for some time now.

The smell of rock is the best way to determine how cured it is. If it smells like rotten eggs or offensive then chances are that paticular piece is not cured. An ocean or "natural" smell gives you a pretty decent idea how well cured the rock is.

Also, any part of the rock that has been beneath the substrate will be black as well and stink from being cut off from light and oxygen.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store