small turtle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i think turtles are cute, especially the aquatic ones with their flippers. are there any that stay really small?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
The ones you're refering to having flippers are probably Fly River Turtles and they get pretty big and are very expensive.

There are some small species out there. I own one of the smallest. Stinkpot Musk Turtles rarely get much bigger than 4-5 inches. They are a great beginner species if you've never owned turtles before.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
Bog turtles stay about 3-4 inches in size, but I don't know of any pet turtles that say around an inch or so. Plus, most turtles live anywhere from 20-40 yrs., depending on species and the quality of care they're given.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I'd definitely not recommend Bog's to a beginner. Also for the fact that they're a threatened species. Unless you plan on breeding them don't buy them. Spotted Turtles are another nice, small, colorful species but they also require more specialized care.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
I do not recommend owning any turtles unless you plan on placing them in a minimum 50 gallon tank. There are no turtles that stay small. they are very messy and hard to work with and require daily care.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
ok. dang. i need more tanks but ill have to get my own place b4 i can do that. i like turtles and thought theyd be a neat pet but i guess ill have to put them on hold until i can get a place of my own. is there any kind of simple care animal that i can keep in a 10g???? i tried FBNs but that didnt go so well.

AquaGem

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Kzoo Michigan
Real Name
Tori
hmm, fire belly toad, leopard gecko, salamander or newt depending on species and size. Or were you talking fish? In that case I'm a fan of dwarf gouramis, fancy guppies, and neon or cardinal tetras. I also like brig snails or nerites. They are so cute and fun to watch :) good luck!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
no ive got lots of fish. i would enjoy frogs but i dont think i could do frogs. i want a leopard gecko but my mom wont let me. and ive tried a newt, and it didnt go well. what are other options?

AquaGem

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Kzoo Michigan
Real Name
Tori
so why no to the frogs or toads? You could get a nice tree frog. Are you looking for an amphibian or something cute and fuzzy? Most snakes (if not all) need a larger aquarium.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I had green anoles as a kid. I'm pretty sure they'd be happy in a 10g and I seem to remember them being pretty easy to take care of (though who knows if I was really doing it right---I loved animals, but I was just a kid). They're sometimes mislabeled "American chameleons" or something like that because they have a limited ability to change color (green and brown). Anyway, they were pretty laid back and easy to handle, which is nice. Check out http://www.wildherps.com/species/A.carolinensis.html for some good pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store