FS Malaysian Driftwood with Lace Java Ferns (Windelov)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I knew exactly what to do with this gorgeous piece of malaysian driftwood when I saw it. A generous addition of the ever-popular Lace Java Fern "Windelov" (Microsorum pteropus windelov) adds a lush, green softness growing from the deepest grooves of this beautifully textured, gnarled piece of wood. The driftwood does not float or give off tannins. It's also quite heavy and has a stable bottom, so it won't tip over when you gravel vac around it. The lace ferns are well suited for low-tech tanks, from low to medium light (or shaded by taller plants under brighter lighting) and a pH ranging from 5 to 8. No need for CO2 or added ferts. Won't be eaten by herbivorous fish. Very simple, undemanding, and easy to maintain. Driftwood measures approximately 10" wide x 3-1/2" deep x 4" tall (not counting the height of the ferns).

For sale (or trade, I suppose) for $40. The driftwood won't fit into a flat-rate box, so your actual USPS shipping charge will be calculated (from Las Vegas) based on your zip code. Let me know if you'll need a heat pack for $2 more. USA only. Paypal preferred.

Front View

Top View

Here is the same piece shown as it looks in my growing tank. (Corkscrew Vals, Blue Hygro, and Anubias barteri Coffeefolia also shown here are not included, but they're also available.)

Front View

Left Side View

Right Side View

Last edited:

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Kashta, how did you attach the plants to that piece of wood?

lorindaleigh

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
on a piece with all those cracks in the wood..I rarely use anything to tie the Java fern down.. I simply place the rhizome in the crack.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Haha.. good guesses. :)

The grooves in this driftwood are perfect for stuffing with rhizomes. I went with Windelov ferns for this piece because they'll stand upright as they keep growing so that the nice texture of the driftwood won't get covered up. Doing this with Anubias would have hidden all the ridges as the plants grow wider. Bolbitis would have worked too, but it's not as easy to grow and if it does well, would look too ferny.

The grooves are also deep, so the roots will all get room to grow down further into the wood before they all start spilling over the top. Once that happens, the exposed new roots can just be cut off. There'll already be so much root growth, it won't matter at all. They're also wide, so there's room for lots more rhizome growth.

Yes, I did just place the rhizomes in the cracks. But the cracks were too wide to hold them there. So they weren't wedged in. That would have been fine if I was just going to keep it myself. As the roots grow, they attach themselves without anything else needed. But then, I decided to offer it for sale in case someone else likes it. And there's no way to ship this thing to someone unless the plants are securely anchored. No way of using fishing line, string, or wire in this case either.

So, I used super glue. That's what reef tank people use under water to attach coral frags to live rock. The glue itself will break down slowly over time. But by then, the plants will have anchored themselves by the roots. It's also not toxic - safe for corals and plants, and won't harm your fish or inverts.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Super glue?? Really? What brand?

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Super glue?? Really? What brand?
I used Scotch by 3M. But make sure it's Super Glue Gel.. not the runny liquid kind. I don't think the brand name matters as long as it says "contains Ethyl Cyanoacrylate" with no other weird stuff added. And go easy with the amount of glue. It turns from clear to white under water which would look terrible if you smear it around too much in a visible area.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I was just transferring some image files and noticed I had missed posting this one... taken from the right side of this tank. It shows a different angle.

07-02-09_2227.jpg

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed

nice set up

Kashta is a great person to deal with

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com