Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Want to sell one of those pythons CHEAP? ;)

jaysinnva

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
I have a similar one (Marina AquaVac), and LOVE it! It makes water changes so incredibly easy, and the best part is it was free with my Fluval 305 :D

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
I use a Python daily at work and I have to say I think that the Aqueon's pump is a much better design then the Python. I like the valve switch on the pump rather then the Python where you have to pull the bottom of the pump down and turn it. We have gone through a few pumps in the last couple of years. The one downside I see in the Aqueon is the size of the gravel vac tube. Depending on the size of your tank you might want to look into a longer tube. Just my .02.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I feel like a complete newbie but will someone explain how these work? Do you just lose all the water down the sink drain? Is there any way you can hook it up to use the tank water for your plants? When do you put in your Prime or de-chlor?

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
Basically when you are removing the water for the wc the water pressure from the facet is what is sucking up the water in the tank and then it is down the drain along with the water from the tap. Once you reverse the flow all the water is going back into the tank. Some of the knock offs have a one way valve that will only suck the water out of the tank but when you reverse the flow it will prevent it from going back into the tank. A way around that just take off the long gravel vac tube.

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
I use a Python daily at work and I have to say I think that the Aqueon's pump is a much better design then the Python. I like the valve switch on the pump rather then the Python where you have to pull the bottom of the pump down and turn it. We have gone through a few pumps in the last couple of years. The one downside I see in the Aqueon is the size of the gravel vac tube. Depending on the size of your tank you might want to look into a longer tube. Just my .02.
This is exactly the type of review I was looking for. Thanks!

I would have just purchased a Python, but Wal-Mart isn't carrying them anymore locally and I couldn't find any at the LFS either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store