Anubia nana not doing well

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I've had an ongoing problem with someone eating my new anubia leaves. My tank looks like a vegetable buffet when new leaves appear in effort to deter the fish from eating them. I've gotten up at all hours of the night with flashlight in hand to spot the culprit but to no avail. I have 5 plants. that were doing great until something started munching on them.

So the question is, the older leaves are curling and deteriorating and generally looking like crap! I've pulled them from the gravel and let them float hoping this may help. Oh, the question...is the nibbling of the leaves causing the plant to use nutrients in the older leaves to repair the new leaves?

Relevant info:
J. fern, corkscrew val, crypt., J. moss, wisteria is all doing fine.
I dose with 1ml flourish every other week with 30g water change.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
You don't mention the fish you keep in the tank, but it sounds more like a nutrient deficiency than a fish problem.
I'm thinking possibly Ca and/or K. But you need to dose all the elements. Not just Traces as you state. Especially if the tank has been up an running and the plants in it are well established.
Newly planted they usually have nutrients stored and look good, but as they use up the stored nutrients they need replacing.
Check the symptoms on this page:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

If you can supply a list of your fish that would help and also the size of your tank.

Len

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Thanks djlen! It definitely appears to be potassium according to the chart. The new leaf growth is normal and if the fish doesn't eat the whole leaf, it grows in fine with just a portion missing.

90 gal, gravel only, no CO2, 4-4'bulbs. Fish include: (2)zebra danios, (2)mollies, (3)swords, (3)platies, (4)ottos, SAE, (7)botia sp., (7)cardinal tetras, (7)rummynose tetras, (2)praecox/(2)bosemani rainbows, (4)congo tetras, (5)harlequin rasboras, (2)hillstream loach.

If #'s mean anything, I have 5 A. nana, 7 J.fern, 2 Wisteria (turning into 5!), 4 C. vals, a small planting of crypts~10 or so leaves.

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Love those hillstream loaches. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store