<3 African Cichilds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
In this thread, so obviously new. I adopted a 55 gal. tank w/ 4 cichlids, 1 pleco, and 2 peices of **** decor. The heater was broken (who knows for how long) and the fish were recieving room-temp tap water during monthly water changes.

I did my research and became a regular at a great LFS that helped me understand the world of cichilds. The tank grew from 4 to 15 fish and is now kept at 80 degrees, w/ a Fluval 305, weekly water changes w/ salt/minerals, and are fed a varied diet. I have a 2nd 10 gallon with a breeding pair that just became too aggressive and were rearranging the 55 FAR too much! They are happier now.

My next goal is a 30-50 gal. corner tank to house only my male Haplochromis sp. or "Dayglow Fulu" along with several females. (Debating on 2 males to make one of their coloring explode). This has become my favorite Cichild of all species, so I want to set him up right.

As I have only been a fish owner for 10 months I am constantly coming into new situations and learning more along the way. This is a hobby of mine, and I can only see it growing from here on out. I expect to learn a lot from reading and posting in the forum here.

I love these fish- and I will forever strive to have bigger, better set ups with rarer and more suitable arrangments of cichilds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Glad to have you here!

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
:welcome:

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
hello and welcome to the AC.....

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Welcome to AC.
Cichlids - a wonderful fish and one of the most kept fish in the aquaria hobby. 10 Gallons for a breeding pair is far too small. You need a 20 or the male may kill the female.

Yes, cichlids like to either eat, dig up, or rearrange their territory. That is how they define boundaries.

Bnoble

Advanced User
Jan 31, 2008
USA,VA
Welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store