Question for pitbull owners

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

unvmyplecos

without sorrow happiness is nothing
Jun 26, 2008
NY
I had a pittbull (it was male) and he was like this too. it is hard but you can get him to be used to strangers. Unfortanately mine seemed especially aggresive toward african americans and UPS delivery Men. I have heard females are more docile but i dont believe this, i think its just a mind thing.

pam916

AC Members
Oct 19, 2008
fort worth, tx
Not a good sign. I would get my dog into some kind of obedience training asap. If you haven't done so already, check out your local dog park. Your dog will get used to being around and interacting with a lot of other dogs and people, just make sure you keep a close eye on your dog at the park to keep him out of trouble. The dog park is a good place for your dog to also get lots of exercise. A good dog is a tired dog.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Some of that aggression may be due to lack of exposure to enough situations. An overwhelmed dog is much more likely to growl or snap at some one or something. Get the dog out to more situations to help it gain some confidence. Drop leaves on their tail ect

I've seen dogs like that growl and wag their tails at the same time with someone if they have to many different animal smells on them.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Within any breed of dog, individual animals have their own personality. If yours is showing this already at a real early age, it's a sign that this pitbull will turn out to be more aggressive than others are. Training and socializing might help some, but even that might not be enough for you trust this one not to someday turn on you, your family, or strangers.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
as the puppy is 10 weeks old, he is testing his britches. You need tomake sure the dog is well socialized so that he will be able to face these situations as he grown into adulthood. Obedience training is a must too if he is already showing these kinds of traits. I wouldn't jump the gun and shoot out that bnecause it's a pittbull, these are signs of something more dangersous because as a dog, this dog is a puppy and needs the proper socialization and training skills to lead a productive life.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
as the puppy is 10 weeks old, he is testing his britches. You need tomake sure the dog is well socialized so that he will be able to face these situations as he grown into adulthood. Obedience training is a must too if he is already showing these kinds of traits. I wouldn't jump the gun and shoot out that bnecause it's a pittbull, these are signs of something more dangersous because as a dog, this dog is a puppy and needs the proper socialization and training skills to lead a productive life.
:thm:

I have a Pit that's fine with dogs and people. The key is training, socialization, and them knowing that you are the alpha.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
and rember that pitbulls were bred many years ago for one thing and one thing only......dog fighting

i agree with the others and let him get used to other people.....most of the time it is not the dog that is the problem but the owner.....im sure with the proper care he will be the nicest dog around!!!!!

good luck!!!

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Im not going to get angry and rant about this. I will simply state some facts.

Within any breed of dog, individual animals have their own personality. If yours is showing this already at a real early age, it's a sign that this pitbull will turn out to be more aggressive than others are. Training and socializing might help some, but even that might not be enough for you trust this one not to someday turn on you, your family, or strangers.
This is not true at all. Any dog is trainable, especially from a young age. Aggression in dogs comes from the owner, not the dog. Dogs are pack animals and work within a hierarchy. You have to be the alpha individual and show your dog what is acceptable and what is not.

and rember that pitbulls were bred many years ago for one thing and one thing only......dog fighting
Wow, this comment really blew me away. How much actual research went behind this answer? Pit bulls were NOT, I repeat NOT bred for fighting. If you would read up a little they were bred to protect their owners from being overtaken by, wait for it.............

BULLS, as in MALE COWS. Hence the bull in their name. The reason they were bred with jaws that lock is so that if their owner was working with bulls or cows, and say one of the bulls decided to harass the human, the dog could latch onto the bull and lock his jaws so that the human could get to safety while the bull was distracted by the dog.

That is the reason why they are fearless in situations where any other animal would run for safety. Because they are WORKING dogs and are there to PROTECT their owners from harm that may be caused by a 2000+ pound animal.

Please......lets all do a little research before we pass out our opinions as fact.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store