Hippo Tang Rubbing Against Rocks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Hey guys, so I noticed yet ANOTHER problem this morning! (other than my bannered butterfly post)

My hippo is rubbing itself against rocks in my tank, and it seems to have white spots all over it... Im assuming its Ick, and will begin treating it with garlic and water changes..

Am I correct? Any second opinions?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Sounds correct, and while those meds I recommended for popeye aren't specifically for Ich, I have read possitive results using them none the less.. as good as any results from using KickIch.

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
o sweet! i guess its like getting 2 birds with one stone! only bad thing is that now i have ick in my water! :( u think the meds u mentioned will help cure the ick form the water, or just cure the hippo from the ick?

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Nope, I would highly doubt it will kill all the ich in your system unfortunately. Only true way to do that, as I am sure you already know, it to take out all the fish for 8 weeks preferably. Obviously not an easy thing to do for most people.

Still, with Blue Tangs/Ich, from all my experience, it goes against what I have been told, which is you CAN have an ich free system. I witnessed myself someone QT a blue tang for 10 weeks, stick it in a brand new tank just setup/cycled for 12 weeks, and within a week, the blue tang shows signs of ich. I swear those fish just always have it, and stress just brings it out.

BucJason

I drink like a fish
Dec 30, 2006
Tampa , FL.
copper will kill all the ich in your tank in a matter of a few days. The problem is it will also kill any invertebrates in your tank, your liverock, and possibly Coraline Algae.

I call it the "scorched earth" technique. The only reason I'd ever do it is if you have really expensive fish that you are attached to, and you can't risk losing, and too many are sick to fit them all in your quarantine tank at the same time.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Copper does NOT kill all ich. If it did, tell me why we have ich in one of our systems at the LFS that is running propper levels of copper for the last 12 months as well as a giant UV sterilizer. We test and dose copper DAILY, yet, 90% of hippo tangs show signs of ich. It was sooo bad that we even flushed the entire 600G system with freshwater for a week, then resetup the entire system, and only put in 1 dwarf angel to see if ich was still present.. guess what, a fish that had no signs of ich had ich within a week of being put back in that system. We at the LFS all thought the FW running through the system for a week would have done the job.. we were wrong. Ich seems to be able to survive a nuclear winter.

If you have any scientific proof that copper does kill all ich please post a link, otherwise I am going to go with what my real world experience tells me.

BucJason

I drink like a fish
Dec 30, 2006
Tampa , FL.
Maybe in a system that large it is hard to keep the levels up to the constant level it needs to be? I don't know. All I know is the times I've used it in my tanks it kicked the a** of the ICH, and in the process killed everything else in the water except the fish . It even wiped out a bunch of my Coraline.

Maybe I overdose ??

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Ace,
are you sure those Meds are 100% reef-safe?!?! I put in some Melafix last night and Primafix this morning, and all my snails fell off the glass, (look dead) and alot of my LTA's are all skinny and crumbled up.. I have a bad feeling, and will stop using it until I get a response..

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store