Plant ID's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Hey guys! I was in PetCo today and I picked up a few plants for my 29-Gallon. I'm still working on getting it all put together, but saw some decent looking plants and decided to give them a try.

I got another bunch of Anacharis, easily identifiable. I also got a pot of Micro Sword. Also easily indentified and confirmed. Hopefully it will send of shoots and spread out a bit before long.

However, one of the pots I picked up because I liked the looks of the plants was labeled as "Aquatic Combo." It has scientific names at the bottom, but I don't know anything about any of that. The list says: Dracaena Spathiphyllum Ophiopogon Trichormanes Syngonium. Am I to assume that each of those is a different plant, or do some of those names go together? And does anybody know what those are by their common names?

Thanks!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Have you tried googling the names? Is the plants pot 1 or many different plants in the same pot? Pictures also help alot. :)

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Dracaena = Lucky Bamboo
Spathiphyllum = Peace Lily
Ophiopogon = Mondo Grass
Trichomanes = Some sort of fern
Syngonium = Arrowhead

None of these are aquatic

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Another victim of Petco. Maybe they will let you trade those in for some real aquarium plants if they even have any.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
If they also sold Anacharis and Microsword, we'd have to assume they do.

As long as you know your plants, I've found Petco isn't a bad place to get plants from.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Okay, so after getting advice on here and searching the web, I've taken the peace lily and lucky bamboo and put them in a pot. We'll see if they survive. There was nothing resembling the ferns or arrowhead in the pack, so I think I had two dracena, a bundle of spathiphyllum, and the ophiopogon. I have one more question though.

As I have read up on the ophiopogon, It seems that there are aquatic varieties. According to one website, what I have is sometimes called the fountain plant. Here is the link. What do you think?

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/plants/StemPlants/FountainPlant.php

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Agree. It's still mondo grass which isn't aquatic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store