'Nother ID thread: Bristlenose??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Ok, I got these two little guys as a bonus with an order of Endlers and guppies off a guy from Aquabid. I asked what they were, and he said they were bristlenose fry, which is what I figured. They are both under 1" at the moment.

One is an albino, which is really why I was thinking bristlenose. Also, from what I understand they are one of the easier ones to breed.

The one that I am a bit confused about, however, is a dark gray/brown color with a suggestion of whitish/yellowish spots. The spots are pretty tiny, and I had to really look to see them. But, what is the confusing part is that his tail has whitish/yellowish tips. The top and bottom of the tailfin has the yellowish tips while the rest of the fin is normal. Also, I think the dorsal fin might have a similar small patch on the tip. I'll try to get pics, but they are fairly active.

I'm not quite sure what to do with them. They are currently in my 75g (my largest tank), but that might be pushing it. I already have 19 diamond tetras, 2 L387 plecos, 6 kribs (will probably be bringing it down to 1 pair soon), about 12 Endler/guppies, and 2 male mollies.

The only other tanks that I could put them in are too small. I have a 20g long cherry shrimp/pond snail/ramshorn snail tank, and I also have a 10g tank with a few molly fry. The 10g is not very successful (for some reason the fry keep dying in that tank while the rest in the 44g brackish are thriving, only change is brackish to fresh). Anyway, I'm a little concerned that I might need to find a new home for them. I could sell them to the lfs, but they don't educate very well on the needs of plecos.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Tough to tell without a pic, and sometimes even with a pic it's hard to tell. It almost sounds like the grey 1 you're describing might be an L183 bristlenose. If they are bristlenose, I don't see why you couldn't keep them in your 75. they only get to be between 4 and 5" long, and it would seem that you have room. good luck.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Oh, I know. I was hoping that maybe someone would save me the work, lol. So lazy.

Anyway, I don't think that it is L183. Mine is not quite as dark and the spots seem to be much smaller. Also, the tailfin on mine doesn't have the solid white stripe going vertically. It has a white tip on the top and bottom with the darker body and fin color extending to the middle edge of the tail fin.

It most looks like this one (that I can tell at least.) Although even that one seems to be darker in color with lighter spots than mine. Mine looks a little more brown with smaller, less defined spots, I guess. I will try to get some pics tonight.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
A 20 long is not too small. I have a breeding trio and ~50 fry in a 20 long with dwarf crays and cherry shrimp. BNs are dwarfs. Adult males can push 5" but the girls stay smaller.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
But would they eat my cherries or their babies?

TwoHobbies

AC Members
Jun 26, 2008
Sounds like what I raise. How about these. They'll be fine in any of your tanks, and the only problem housing them with shrimp is that they compete for the same food.

plecos eating.jpg

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Thank goodness. I'll see how the develop and possible compete with my L387s and kribs for bottom space for now. If a see a problem developing, I may move them to the 20g long.

Twohobbies, what kind are those, do you know? They are lovely, but mine is maybe a little darker, and his/her spots are much smaller. Mine has more pinpoint size spots.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
It's probably common ancistrus sp. 3. They loose the white tips as they grow and the spots usually fade as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store