Zebra Hybrid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I have a question about Mbunas... particularly zebras

if I were to get say 3 different types of zebras in my tank.. do they interact like they are the same species? will they breed with each other? will they fight as more or less than having other types of cichlids?

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
There is a high chance of them breeding with one another since they are closely related. I have a few zebra types in my tank and they treat each other like they do everyone else, meanly. If they look similar of have similar markings there is a greater chance they will fight with one another. Mine all look different so they mind their own business.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
ok cool.. anyone else have any experience with this?

I was thinking of getting some reds, some blueberry obs, and some red tops possibly and I was concerned that this may be a problem... or possibly create some interesting hybrid colors

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
As long as the hybrids stay in your possession I really don't see a problem with it.Reds can be nasty, at least mine is. She soon is going to be finding herself relocated. I have some ice blues (I think that's the same as red top) and they are are nice. The females are brownish but still nice IMO. I haven't heard of blueberry zebras, but they seem to be similar to OBs. I have three of those and they are delightful and not quite as mean as the ice blues and reds.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
BLUEBERRY PIC -

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store