largemouth bass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
try pellets , flake , earthworms.etc

your gonna need a big tank for that fish;)

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Flakes are pretty much useless for big fish. Pellets are good; I like Tetra's cichlid pellets. Of course live feeders are good, but with live feeders there is always a risk of parasites. Don't feed him heavily on feeder goldfish. I think rosy reds are a better feeder; nightcrawlers, crayfish, shrimp, and various feeder insects are also good.

Frozen foods are good too. You'll spend a ton trying to feed him enough frozen foods from the LFS, at least once he's more than a few inches long. Try going to the grocery and asking for seafood that is about to expire; sometimes you can get it at a discount. The more intact it is the better; unpeeled raw shrimp with heads on are better than cooked, peeled, or headless shrimp, for example.

As mentioned, adult largemouth require a big tank- 200 gallons plus. Re-release is illegal and dangerous; if he gets too big to handle, please euthanize him or find another fishkeeper to adopt him.

dsaavedra

wild fish keeper
Dec 27, 2008
like Notophthalmus said, frozen seafood is great. bite size chunks of frozen tuna work well.

you could try to culture nightcrawlers or earthworms, buy a minnow trap from walmart and put it in your local waters overnight to catch a good amount of minnows and other food sized treats for a largemouth. bass also like crickets and some pellet foods. it might be hard to get them on pellet food, but keep trying and eventually they will eat them.

i think you might find more information on captive care of largemouth bass at www.forum.nanfa.org

everyone there keepts native fish, i have found that not many people here on AC keep native fish.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Be careful with live foods, especially from a lake or pond. You never know what sort of disease you'll be introducing so quarantine any live catch first. Also feed sparingly as live fish are high in fat, low in nutrients.

dsaavedra

wild fish keeper
Dec 27, 2008
wild fish are much less likely to carry diseases and stuff than feeder fish kept in those crappy neglected tanks that many fish stores keep them in.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
As mentioned, adult largemouth require a big tank- 200 gallons plus. Re-release is illegal and dangerous; if he gets too big to handle, please euthanize him or find another fishkeeper to adopt him.
:iagree: 110%

I manage a Park and we often keep a cold water aquarium for catching Perch and such. We use a large horse troff (the kids can view from the top). We feed them what we can get from our lake - Mostly minnows, frogs, larvae (avoid salamanders as most are threatened), and other non-aquatics such as ants, crickets, grasshopers, etc.

We NEVER re-relese back into the wild!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store