Product Review: Tetra Whisper Ex HOB

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
[FONT=&quot]Company[/FONT]
Tetra
[FONT=&quot]Model[/FONT]
Tetra Whisper Ex 20
[FONT=&quot]Link to product description [/FONT]
http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/TetraFish/aquarium/AquariumContentTwoColumn.aspx?id=2416

[FONT=&quot]Price range[/FONT]
Ex 20: $25
Ex 30: $30
Ex 45: $37
Ex 70: $50

[FONT=&quot]Pros[/FONT]
Virtually idiot proof. Easy to take out of the box, put on the back of your tank, plug in. That's it. Since the motor is below the water level, there is no need to prime. The filter starts with in 5 seconds. The Time Strip is a nice feature for the beginner to tell them when its time to put a new pad in. To take the filter container out, you flip up a hood and pull the holder out. Squeeze the two clips together (over the trash) and the old pad falls out. Put a new cartridge in, take out the old Time Strip, and put a new one in. That's it.
Since the housing is rounded on the bottom, there are no corners that could allow crud to stick. There for you never really have to clean it.
IT IS SILENT. You can barely hear it. The way the water come out of the filter, it kind of glides out instead of just pouring out.
The Bio Scrubbers are decent. I think I only checked the Bio Scrubbers once, and it had a little plant matter on it.
Replacement filter pads come with time strips. [FONT=&quot]
Cons
[/FONT]
The only thing I could think of was that sometimes the filter hood sometimes vibrates and you just have to tap it and it will stop. Feels a little like cheap plastic. I have heard of 1 case where the motor burned out. (I don't know how, but they replaced it.) Another case, the very first days that it was released, a customer was complaining, and that it basically didn't have the filter holder, so the pad just pushed against the Bio Scrubbers.
[FONT=&quot]Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How long have you used the product?[/FONT]
More than six months.
[FONT=&quot]Build quality and value for your money. [/FONT]
The quality is excellent, you can really tell they put their time into it making this filter. I think they could maybe drop the prices on the replacement filter pads, however you can find them online for cheaper than in the store. But other than that it is excellent value for the money.
[FONT=&quot]Other comments
[/FONT]Excellent beginner filter!
I have a Ex20 on my 20Long w/ Eheim 2213. I also have a Ex20 on my brothers 10 gallon tank.
PICTURES!!!!

Sorry for a lengthy review. Hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store