Thinking of Changing From SA Cichlids to African Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joestyx

I'm Not A Playa I Just Fish A Lot
Jan 24, 2008
Where Legends Are Born, MD
I currently have a planted 55g tank which now only holds a Jack Dempsey, I love my JD since i watched him grow up, but I can't stand the fact that I only can have 1 fish in my tank and I feel it's wasted space just for 1 fish....Now I am willing to get rid of my JD and start a African Cichlid tank and what i wanna know is it worth it??? Are african ciclids exciting to watch? i know i can put quite a bit of them together in the same tank and many different colors and variety to catch the eye....Should i do it??

I came to this decision when my JD ate my SAE and now my plants are getting BBA which had been gone for a while.....

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
African tanks are sweet-- im working on one right now

also.. if you were to get some of the more peaceful mbunas you could most likely keep the JD in there with them and there is a good chance they would do ok

joestyx

Jan 24, 2008
"also.. if you were to get some of the more peaceful mbunas you could most likely keep the JD in there with them and there is a good chance they would do ok "

yeah but i am worried that if i did that then the mbunas would just be expensive feeder fish for my JD

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
possible.. but not likely-- mbunas hold their own very well.. even the "non agressive" varieties.. you forget that even though they may be less agressive they are still 6" long and have teeth lol

joestyx

Jan 24, 2008
possible.. but not likely-- mbunas hold their own very well.. even the "non agressive" varieties.. you forget that even though they may be less agressive they are still 6" long and have teeth lol

yeah, I know but they don't come that way....and my JD is about 8" long and has a pretty good set of teeth himself.....

I like my JD, but i want a tank where i can just look at it and see lots of fish and amazing colors and a mbuna tank is the direction i might go in, i will find a good home for my JD whether it be a new tank or give him away, plus i don't thing the african cichlids disrupt the tank bottom as much as a JD, i am totally guessing of course

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Africans do just as much damage to the tank bottom as the JD if not more.. they rearrange rocks and dig up plants.

Not discouraging you hopefully.. because they are really cool fish-- but dont accpect them to be any better at housekeeping

Go with an Mbuna species tank like im working on.. they are truly aweome and very colorful-- since your planning on getting rid of the JD anyway.. might as well go with a colorful african species tank

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
make sure you silicone any rock formations together, the africans will dig under them and they can fall over

jameshilljr

Kanien'k?haka-People of the Flint
Jun 8, 2008
Sanford, NC
:iagree: I tried to have some cons and FM's with my mbuna, and they didn't work out too well...(the FM's eventually had to go because the were malnourished from lack of protein they require-i tried to feed them more protein-rich products, but this in turn caused some of the AC's to get bloat:swear:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store