Product Review Template

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Please us this basic template when reviewing a product. You can copy and paste it to the thread reply/new thread in order to make it easier.

Company

[FONT=&quot]Model[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Link to product description [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Price range[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pros[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cons[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]How long have you used the product?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Build quality and value for your money. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Other comments [/FONT]

Last edited:

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Oh, this will be useful and used as well.
Need to look up details on the filters I use as well as some other items.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Jebo 809 Canister Filter

Company: Zhenhua Aquarium Accessories Co. Ltd. (Jebo)
From their web-site: www.shopjebo.com
About the Manufacturer
JEBO Company is an international company jointly invested by the Chinese, Hong Kong and Canadian investors. The Company mainly engages in developing and manufacturing advanced aquarium articles and equipments for exporting throughout the world.
Since 1994, JEBO Company has been importing advanced technology and equipments from Japan, Germany, and Italy to continuously innovate our aquarium products-- efficient, effective, reliable, and stylish at a reasonable price. In an approximately 323,000 square feet2 factory building, JEBO Company established itself as the first large-scale aquarium supply manufacturing factory with advanced and matured technology in China to compete in the global marketplace.
Jebo Company is committed to bring high quality aquarium supplies and equipments at a reasonable price to our customers. With our aquarium products, our customers can simulate a natural water ecological environment for their fishes with ease and enjoyment.
For more information about the manufacturer please visit www.jebo.com.cn

Model: Jebo 809 Canister Filter (5 stage)

Link to product description: http://jebo.com.cn/html/under-s.html

Price range: USD 45 - 70. (I got mine in Thailand, paid Baht 1500 for it. Expect more in the US.)

Pros:
- Silent.
- Cool operation. I'm running it outside on my 79 gallon. Outside temperature is 33-35'C every day and it barely gets any temperature rise that I can notice.
- Very large media-section.
- 5 trays, all fit very tight and very well, minimal if not zero bleeding.
- Media included though minimum quantities.
- Very complete package, everything in the box to set it up.
- Manual in 'chinese' english, quite some errors but no problem to read. This link helps you to an online manual:
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/images/Jebo External Filter.pdf
- Drip-tray to put the filter in, inside your cabinet, is included as well.
- All necessary hoses and connections included, see attached picture. It's enough for a standard setup. No problems for me to get it up and running in a couple of minutes.

Cons:
- The flow-rate might be on the optimistic side, but I've not tested it and my setup has a number of 90' turns in the pipes.
- Had 1 fan-failure. I expect that to be my own mistake giving back-flow during water-changes with filter and refill-hose on a T and both running, causing the filter to overheat.

Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best): 4, the fan-failure, even being my mistake cost it the full 5.

How long have you used the product?: close to 1 year continuous use on a 79 gallon tank.

Build quality and value for your money.: As good as it gets. It runs, 24/7 for almost a year now. Great filter but don't max the tank to advertised flow-rate. Go for 1/2 or 3/4 and you'll be very happy with this filter.

Other comments: Be careful to depressurize the filter before opening it or you'll get wet. (Do that by closing the inlet valve then let it run a few seconds, then switch off and open.
A very nice filter for everyone on a budget. You want fancy bells and whistles, or pay for premium products like Eheim, go ahead, but this filter does the same....filter.
Can't say how long it will last, only time will tell, but for that price, it gives me what I want. Enough filter-media space and volume.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
Company: Red Sea

[FONT=&quot]Model: CO2 Indicator[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Link to product description: http://www.redseafish.com/co2_pro.asp[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Price range: $18 shipped on ebay[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pros: This CO2 indicator is also known as a Drop Checker. It's used for checking the concentration of CO2 in the aquarium for planted tanks. This unit is compact, and easy to use. The directions are simple to follow, and the kit comes with a liquid reagent. I find that the white background is excellent at determining the color of the solution, and it also has a guide as to when you are "in-the-zone". Green is where your target should be set at. Yellow means you are in the danger zone for your fish, and Blue means you need more CO2 for your plants.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cons: I've found that the directions for this unit calls for putting in 1ml of tank water to be added along with two(2) drops of the reagent. The directions also state that if your tank water is under 4dkH, your readings would not be accurate. Similar to other Drop Checkers, it's best to purchase, or make your own 4dkH solution to use with this unit. If you are handy, you can make your own CO2 Indicator aka Drop Checker. There are also companies that make glass ones. Both would be considerably cheaper than the Red Sea unit. If you're good with your hands, or looking for something of a lower price range, this might not the best route to go. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best): 4[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]How long have you used the product?: 2 weeks[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Build quality and value for your money.: Quality control seems to be top notch. I ordered 5 of these, and all 5 seems to be in good condition. I did notice that one of the suction cups came deformed, but a little hot water fixed that.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Other comments: This isn't the cheapest Drop Checker out there by far, but it's probably the best looking one. I've found that deals can be had with this unit if you looked, and aside from the price, it's a very nice unit for the money.[/FONT]

K8lee

Angel Whisperer
Mar 3, 2009
Kodiak Island, Alaska
Easy Balance W/Nitraban

Company Tetra

[FONT=&quot]Model[/FONT]
Fresh water Treatment

[FONT=&quot]Link to product description [/FONT]http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3974+4214&pcatid=4214

[FONT=&quot]Price range[/FONT] 4.50 - 6.00

[FONT=&quot]Pros[/FONT] Aids in cycling tank and neutralizing nitrates and phosphates

[FONT=&quot]Cons[/FONT] raises osmotic pressure

[FONT=&quot]Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)[/FONT] *****

[FONT=&quot]How long have you used the product?[/FONT] 2 months

[FONT=&quot]Build quality and value for your money. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Other comments: I had to set up an emergency breeder tank because I had two pairs of spawning angels in a single 45 gal. tank and they were fighting and eating the eggs. I'd read that Easy Balance could delay water exchanges for up to 6 months, so I decided to try it out as a cycling aid.

On the third day I noticed a good slime coating on rocks and plants. Used as directed, I experienced no ammonia spike above .5 ppm. I performed a 30% water change at that point, and the tank never tested for ammonia again. After 6 weeks, 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and 10 ppm nitrate.

I was pleasantly surprised and amazed that something that could be purchased from Wal Mart would work so well. It's cheap and effective. :dance:
[/FONT]

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Any chance we could have a special format for books? For example...

Book Review

Author

Title

Publisher

Year Published

Link to Product Description

List Price

Pros

Cons

Star Rating (1-5, with 5 being the best)

Other Comments

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store