wheels on a tank stand???????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paintballgoth

AC Members
Nov 2, 2003
long island
Visit site
my dads a master carpenter so me and him are going to build a base and hood for my 55 gal tank. the only thing is that he insists on putting casters on the bottom of the stand. has this ever been done? and is this a safe idea? any help would be appreciated.

Macromatt

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Clinton Township, MI
www.mattbaclar.com
My gut feeling on this is a big no... 55 gal tank 600-800lbs of weight, has to be pretty strong casters...and it will also concentrate all the weight on those small sections. If the ground the tank is on isn't perfectly level...what are the chances of it rolling away.

The other question is, are you ever going to have to move the huge heavy thing?

Just my $.02

Matt

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Well, if your dad knows how much the tank is going to weigh and gets the appropriate casters, that should be OK. I would still be very leery of ever moving a full tank, though.

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
It would be difficult to move that much weight on small wheels. I am in the boating business, and we use dollys to move boats around in tight areas. I have also used these dollys for moving cars I was restoring. I had a stripped down mustang (body only) that weighs about 500-600 lbs that was very hard to move by yourself on a concrete floor. Could you imagine when the water in that tank gets to moving back and fourth how hard that would be to handle? The right wheels (proper weight rating) are not the problem, it is newtons laws of physics that is the problem.

paintballgoth

AC Members
Nov 2, 2003
long island
Visit site
we would obvioulsy be getting the right size casters to hold that weight, and we would be gettiung locking casters as well. my dad says that weight wouldnt be a problem because the plywood under the carpet would support it. i just dont know y he would want to move the tank. even if it was able to be moved would it be safe 2 do that??

I also have a question bout live rock. Im kinda running a low budget and i was wondering what the cheepest way to set up the live rock would be....how much base rock can i use to actual live rock? and how much will the quality of the rock effect my tank? thanks alot you guys are godly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store