Breeding Kribensis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dekz

AC Members
Jul 29, 2008
Ok, my previous attempt at breeding these was interesting. They had the tank all to themselves, I'm guessing around 100 fry hatched. Unfortunately the fry started to disappear and then the male died. (I'm assuming that the male was eating the fry, so the female killed him). Eventually all the fry were gone and I was left with only the female.

She has had the tank to herself for a month or so now, and there is a bit of algae developing, so I put an Otocinclus in there.

Today I added a new male Kribensis and they are definitely getting along, so I am predicting babies again in the near future. I've heard that Kribensis will basically annihilate anything else in the tank to protect their young. Do you think the Oto will be ok? If not, what about a small Pleco?

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
how big is the tank??

Dekz

AC Members
Jul 29, 2008
Ok, the female has a VERY pink belly and she keeps going in front of the male and showing him her side and bending her body into almost a U shape. These are all good signs as far as I know? One thing she also does that I don't remember her doing last time, is when she does these things, she will almost vibrate/shake/flutter.

Now since these aren't livebearers I'm just not sure what she keeps pestering the male to do? Is she just letting him know that there are eggs around for him to fertilize?

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
My female does this as well. Looks like she's having a seizure. But, I had fry hatch within a week after this behavior. Unfortunately, they all died, I'm thinking the tank mates ate them. But, it's good news for you! Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store