ID on a rescue SCAT? HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

munkeycraz

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
Hello, I havent been on here in a while, but last time you all really helped me out. I have a new fish, look sorta like my silver scats only dark in shaped a little different. We rescued this fish as well as a LARGE puffer. Can you help do id this fish. I am also new to Brakish....

Thanks for your help....

Shari

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
green scat

munkeycraz

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
I have a 47 gallon, looking for a larger now. I had some left over from a feshwater...2 blue guarmis <~spelling, albino frog, and 2 large anglefish, also 2 goldfish feeder fish that survived a channel cat. They all have been living brackish for 7 months. I have 2 silver scats, 1 green scat <my new guy>, Large spotted puffer and dwarf puffer, columbian shark, 1 mono, 1 goby <not sure what type>, archer fish and a sucker/algea eater.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
That tank is way overstocked.

All of those brackish fish will need a specific tank setup for them with a proper salinity and need MUCH more space. Scats and monos can get up to 8-12" and will need full on marine conditions well full grown. Colombian sharks (aka Iridescent sharks) also reach over a foot in length.

munkeycraz

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
What do you mean by specific setup? I was told as long as I keep 1 tsp of sea salt per gallon they would be fine. And never was told they need full marine as adults. I am in the process of gettin a larger tank. They are small now and I was aware the monos and scats would get large. As for the columbian black fin shark/catfish, I was told 6 inches. I know I should have done more homework on these, just get excited and trust the workers at LFS, even askin for managers and older people who i thought were knowledgable. Geeesh! Hope I can fix this.......

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
But you are mixing brackish fish with freshwater fish who should have zero salt at all...that's what I mean by specific setup here. I would suggest rehoming the brackish fish unless you can setup up a large tank for them very soon.

And don't always trust store employees. Research before buying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store